Automated water change

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I started out with a similar system but have simplified my system over thirty years of experience obtained from running several hundred tanks. It's amazing how many technical issues can and have occured. Essentially I look for ways to remove potential problems. Not everyone has the same priorities as I do of course.

I use very low pressure cold water continous slow feed from a dedicated tap with pressure compensating micro irrigation drippers on 4mm black tubing. No timer, no solenoid, no drain cycle, no heating, no taps, no pumps or electricity. Tank water is removed by displacement. The low water pressure solves a lot of potential problems and the mess a high pressure leak creates especially if your away on a holiday. The 4mm low pressure flexible black tube hugely reduces set up cost, visibility and complexity of plumbing. Keep the drippers above water so you can visually check they are working. Once I'm satisfied with the tap water pressure, I remove the tap handle so it can't get changed unintentionally. The slow flow enables longer dwell time through carbon filters which improves their efficiency and reduces temperature shock differences.

If drainage is an issue, your drain lines can be quite small because it's only drips to handle although bigger drains are always better.

Some of my tanks are very large and some are small.

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I tried adding a pressure regulator but it leaked so I just connected without. As F fishdance said a simple system is best. I use pressure compensating emitters as well and no filter or heaters.

Reactions: Copp81

Copp81

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2011
Kansas
www.youtube.com
I started out with a similar system but have simplified my system over thirty years of experience obtained from running several hundred tanks. It's amazing how many technical issues can and have occured. Essentially I look for ways to remove potential problems. Not everyone has the same priorities as I do of course.

I use very low pressure cold water continous slow feed from a dedicated tap with pressure compensating micro irrigation drippers on 4mm black tubing. No timer, no solenoid, no drain cycle, no heating, no taps, no pumps or electricity. Tank water is removed by displacement. The low water pressure solves a lot of potential problems and the mess a high pressure leak creates especially if your away on a holiday. The 4mm low pressure flexible black tube hugely reduces set up cost, visibility and complexity of plumbing. Keep the drippers above water so you can visually check they are working. Once I'm satisfied with the tap water pressure, I remove the tap handle so it can't get changed unintentionally. The slow flow enables longer dwell time through carbon filters which improves their efficiency and reduces temperature shock differences.

If drainage is an issue, your drain lines can be quite small because it's only drips to handle although bigger drains are always better.

Some of my tanks are very large and some are small.
I debated the continuous drip option. Could have set it up easy with a 1/4" line and a valve. Had the solenoid valve a smart switch so went that way. The drip system is a very good one

Reactions: fishguy1978

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
looks good. are you just having the water overflow and drain out with the water change like a drip?

Reactions: fishguy1978

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
looks good. are you just having the water overflow and drain out with the water change like a drip?
Yes, I have continuous drip on the 29g rack, 120, 220 and 260.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store