Average Size of Piraya Piranha?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I just wanted to ask a quick question in regards to the "full grown" / "adult" size of Piraya Piranhas. So I know that Piraya can get to monster sizes like 20" and such and these are considered Frankensteins, while others don't get that big. And I've seen people say a lot of things in regards to the size that a Piraya can get to. But I wanted to know what the average size of a fully grown adult Piraya is. Is it 16 inches? 18 inches? Is it 12 inches? If let to live solo in a 240, with weekly water changes etc, what would you say the Piraya is most likely to grow to?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Find out if it's male or female, that'll have a large bearing on eventual size. Females can get bigger than the male, i'm wagering the 20" was a female. For your sake I hope it dosen't turn into a leviathan because you'll need an upgrade. And i'm still very much on the fence as to whether your planned tank location is up to the job of holding a huge aquarium long term. I wish you luck.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Find out if it's male or female, that'll have a large bearing on eventual size. Females can get bigger than the male, i'm wagering the 20" was a female. For your sake I hope it dosen't turn into a leviathan because you'll need an upgrade. And i'm still very much on the fence as to whether your planned tank location is up to the job of holding a huge aquarium long term. I wish you luck.
How can you tell the difference between a amle and a female? Is 96x24x24 big enough?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
How can you tell the difference between a amle and a female? Is 96x24x24 big enough?
I used to keep RBP's going back 20 years or so now before i came away from the hobby. I'm not an expert on the piraya, far far from it. All I did was look at a very basic online care sheet that gives you tons of information on this fish. Male and female differences are on there along with a plethora of other useful facts. I doubt very much your fish will get past 14", female or not, in a fish tank. But should it miraculously get anywhere near 20" that is a big pacu like beast of a fish that will only have 24" to turn round in, not ideal, though as I said I think you'll be ok.

Go online, have a look. I'd post a link for you but i'm thick, don't know how to do it. :duh:

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I used to keep RBP's going back 20 years or so now before i came away from the hobby. I'm not an expert on the piraya, far far from it. All I did was look at a very basic online care sheet that gives you tons of information on this fish. Male and female differences are on there along with a plethora of other useful facts. I doubt very much your fish will get past 14", female or not, in a fish tank. But should it miraculously get anywhere near 20" that is a big pacu like beast of a fish that will only have 24" to turn round in, not ideal, though as I said I think you'll be ok.

Go online, have a look. I'd post a link for you but i'm thick, don't know how to do it. :duh:
I actually looked for this earlier and didn't find anything. People here say that you can't really tell. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/sexing-piranah.101664/

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
this is how...female pygos have rounder bellies and males have better body structure. best way to see is after you feeding it females look rounder and with males they still look leaner even when full. in general male piranhas whether its a pygo or serra males look way better than females in terms of body proportion/body structure. this is again just from my experience...why don't you post a pic and maybe i could determine the sex?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store