Axanthics and melanistics in the wild

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Why do they pop up so much in the wild? I see a lot of videos of melanistics of all species in the wild especially. Are populations tight enough that the lack of genetic variation causes these mutations to pop up more than in other animals in general? Are mutations like this actually common in fish but gar just happen to be naturally resilient enough for weirdly colored individuals to hit maturity?
Another question, why are bowfishermen always the ones who find them and subsequently shoot them?

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
IMO, they have always been there... just more people with cameras now and also somewhat of a better understanding of “this is something different”. Most still dont understand genetic mutations/correct terminology but we get to see their evidence atleast lol... sadly bowfishermen just have an “easy” way to catch them. They gotta breathe eventually. Gar neway, prob y we see more accounts of them. Google images alone has grown tremendously with evidence of lots of mutations all across the animal world. I highly enjoy mutations... very interesting how the traits carry through from mammals to reptiles/amphibians to birds to fish... to even people ?. If u think about it 1 in 1,000 or even 1 in a million isnt that crazy when 1 fish can have thousands of eggs and thats just at once. Theres so many accounts now u can almost google “albino” insert species and a pic pops right up. Like ur saying has to be more common than most people realise. Another good example is wild caught albino/color morph fish being sold to us in the hobby. If theres 1 theres usually more and for them to make it down the chain to someone for minimal cash lets u know the population or availability must b more than people realize.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
"Are populations tight enough that the lack of genetic variation causes these mutations to pop up more than in other animals in general?"

Actually the opposite (in most cases). There is enough genetic variation that these (mostly recessive) genotypes express themselves with some frequency. And that is a good thing!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Abnormal coloration is probably much more common than we think. But a white or black specimen of almost any species is much more visible to predators (including but not limited to bowfishermen) and so gets naturally culled by predation, usually at an early age.

And, honestly, why do you think bowfishermen find them? It's mainly because they spend the time outdoors and put in the effort to look!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
And, honestly, why do you think bowfishermen find them? It's mainly because they spend the time outdoors and put in the effort to look!
I mean as opposed to normal conventional fishermen that put in actual skill to catch the fish ?
And don't get me wrong bowfishing takes skill as well, but I feel like it gets bastardized when they go out and shoot things like gar that they don't end up using for anything other than mounts, or end up missing/losing the fish and severely injuring said fish needlessly.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Gar are a bit of a special case. They don't respond very well to most conventional methods and presentations; yes, some are caught on hook and line, but generally speaking that's not common and they aren't targeted that way.

When I was a kid local fishermen caught gar using live bait minnows attached to a tangled ball of fine twine or string. Once a gar had sidled up and struck the bait, its numerous small sharp teeth would be entangled in the string and allow it to be flipped ashore before it could manage to disengage itself. Not a method often seen today, and certainly not very productive with any other species.

I agree about some bowfishermen who just need to shoot something. I bow fished and also speared numerous carp over the years; carp are invasive and they are the only species we actively pursued with the intention of killing as many as possible. But some guys... :uhoh:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store