axolotl has a lump on belly

marivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
I've had my albino Axolotl for about a year now. I think she is about six. She is growing a lump on her belly that seems to be getting larger. It's the same colour as her skin and it doesn't look inflamed or bother her in any way, but I wondered if Axolotls get lumps as they get older? I clean the tank regularly and she is in a very large tank, but I want to make sure she's not getting sick. She eats fine and is as active as she's ever been (which isn't much. She seems to swim only when I'm not watching her, then she sinks to the bottom like I caught her in something bad. :) ) We have an exotic pet vet not too far from here, but I'd rather not stress her if she is fine. I can try to include a picture if you need one, but as she mainly sits on the bottom of the tank, it's hard to see it. (I don't think I can attach a picture until I've been on the forum for a while, but I can put it somewhere to view)

Reptiles, amphibians and other exotic pets.

You need to run a chiller otherwise the axo will have health problems. The water needs to be below 65 degrees. We need pictures but are you saying she just has a big belly? If not it's a bacterial growth that is very hard to treat and often develops in axolotls with warm water. Remedy your chiller problem as soon as possible.

marivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
Yes, I've been researching this. No, not a big belly, a growth on her belly. It seems to be growing. Hard to get a picture as she is pretty shy and hardly ever lets me see her swimming around. I'll post in the other thread about where to get a chiller, or what brand to get. Thank you. (Wait, it shows that I am in that section, did you move my post maybe?) I rescued her as she was hardly ever fed and the previous owner was not cleaning her tank often and then totally emptying it, filling it directly from the municipal water and then dumping her into it. She's about 10" long and has filled out. I keep her tank clean and never put water directly into her tank from the tap. But I do agree that perhaps her water is sometimes warmer than it should be. I'm also noticing some white fuzz on her lungs (?) so I may have to find a vet. I know nothing about axolotls and just wanted to give her a better life. Maybe I'm killing her with kindness.

Last edited:
Lungs? I'm assuming you mean gills.

A mod moved your post. That is not something an ordinary member can do on their own.

I know nothing about axolotls.
Perhaps if this is the case, you should consider rehoming it. Chillers are quite pricey and axolotls are not easy to keep. Quite a few amphibian keepers will take a cheap axolotl.

As for the disease, the lump is either a tumor or a bacterial growth. The white fuzz on the gills is fungus. Both are caused by axolotls consistently being kept in warm, poorly filtered water.

What is your tank setup? Is it cycled? What is the filtration? Substrate?

marivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
It's a large tank and I keep it clean, but I went away for a month and her water was topped up and she was fed but I was shocked at how filthy the tank was when I got back. I cleaned it by replacing 1/4 of the water and cleaning the glass as soon as I got back, but then a week later removed her and all of the tiles etc and sucked up all the debris hiding underneath things. I was using just a small whisper filter as I couldn't find one that wasn't really loud (annoying both me, and I think - her) but I recently got another one a Whisper 40i and it is quiet but I don't think she likes the water flow. And it doesn't seem to be adjustable, so I've turned it off. Her water is at 65 at the moment, but it does creep up. And yes I meant her gills (which are her lungs?) I've made an appointment with a vet that looks at exotic animals next week. She is eating fine but I don't want to end up killing her. And I saw that those chillers are about $500. Ouch. I've attached a picture of her set up. She likes the little tunnel I made for her, and hides in there much of the day. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

bonnie.jpg

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
you can use a fan blowing on your water if its to warm or put frozen bottles of water in the tank to bring down temps. all I've used for filters in my axolotl tank is a sponge filter. they don't like current.

marivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
I've heard about the frozen water, but they say to be careful as fluctuation in the temperature isn't good either. It's a fine balancing act, that is for sure. The fan is a good idea though, and I could try to keep on top of the temp so if it starts to go up, I add cool water before it is too warm. Thanks!

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store