Axolotl question....

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So am thinking about collecting a kind of fish again. Similar to when I collected catfish as many of you know. In my 29g I have my axolotl And he's kind of lazy as most are and just sticks to the bottom really. I experimented with guppies with him and he doesn't care at all. And they dont bother him. I was thinking about doing tetras the same way I did catfish and got a few small tanks dedicated to them. I have the 29 and a 10 atm thinking of kind of using rocks to seperate the bottom and top of the tank with rocks and of course he will be able to come up it would just be a lot of hiding spots at the bottom for him to hide. But at the top have like my guppies and was thinking like serpae and some skirt tetras. and for my 10 I was thinking orca catfish and maybe some small tetras like ember, neon or lemon. What are your guys thoughts and suggestions???

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
IME... there less “hardy” as they grow and are also more susceptible to chlorine, hard water and high water temps. Keeping the water cool and “soft” for them is key. Theyll break out in a fungus and their gills will deteriorate in warmer water. Not sure if the tetras could handle the cooler temps the axo needs. Id worry of them eating the gill frill also. Id stick with the cple guppies if anything. Worst/best case scenario is it eats them lol... to my surprise my adult axies actually did better in tubs/tanks with no filter and daily 100% water changes with aged water than they did in autodrip systems my fish thrived in. Even the cple extra degrees from pumps/filters was detrimental to them as adults. Mine were 2-3 yrs old before i learned they shouldnt b kept like fish. They did fine being kept “as fish” while juvies tho. Some of my favorite specimen ive kept ? 68 degrees or less is best. Id get another axie before any other kind of tank mate. Break out a tub/tote for him and then u have a tank to stock lol... the w/c’s can b a head ache that way is the only down side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store