Axolotl tankmate???

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So I’m thinking of adding a tankmate with chip (my axolotl) But I don’t think fish is the best idea. So I’m thinking like a tree frog. It’s a 29 gallon so it’s vertically high (I also have a 50g for when he gets a bit older) so Im thinking about getting something for the higher area of the tank. I was thinking maybe like an easy reptile as I’m just trying to dip my toe back in. Maybe something like a tree frog or maybe a crested. I’m not sure. And I also don’t know if this is possible. So feedback would be great

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You’d need a lot of space to keep both a terrestrial animal and an aquatic one together.
The biggest issue you’d run into is the temp issue. To keep a reptile or amphibian at its ideal temperature, it would wind up heating the water and harming the axolotl. If the cold water for the axie is maintained, it will be too cold for the lizard or frog.
Best chances I’d guess for an axolotl are goldfish or inverts, but even then, everything’s on the menu.
Of course, I haven’t owned an axie, this is just from readings, so take this with a grain of salt.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You’d need a lot of space to keep both a terrestrial animal and an aquatic one together.
The biggest issue you’d run into is the temp issue. To keep a reptile or amphibian at its ideal temperature, it would wind up heating the water and harming the axolotl. If the cold water for the axie is maintained, it will be too cold for the lizard or frog.
Best chances I’d guess for an axolotl are goldfish or inverts, but even then, everything’s on the menu.
Of course, I haven’t owned an axie, this is just from readings, so take this with a grain of salt.
For not owning one you got that pretty good.
I'd add it's not recommended to keep most fish with axolotls for various reasons one being that alot of fish find that axolotl gills are the best to nip at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store