Azul aggression

Waaaa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2019
I picked up a new azul at about 3 inches today. Anyways, I added some of my baby convicts in an attempt to get him to eat. He did eat one, but surprisingly has been fighting with the bigger ones. The biggest convict tried liplocking with the Cichla, but he just gets out of the way and mouths it. This made me curious however, so I was wondering if liplocking is a normal behavior for Cichla, or do they usually avoid it?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I picked up a new azul at about 3 inches today. Anyways, I added some of my baby convicts in an attempt to get him to eat. He did eat one, but surprisingly has been fighting with the bigger ones. The biggest convict tried liplocking with the Cichla, but he just gets out of the way and mouths it. This made me curious however, so I was wondering if liplocking is a normal behavior for Cichla, or do they usually avoid it?
Lip locking is usually a sign of aggressive and territorial behavior. How big of a tank are they in

Waaaa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2019
Lip locking is usually a sign of aggressive and territorial behavior. How big of a tank are they in
They are in a 48x18 for right now. It is the one azul which is 3 inches long. And a few convicts which are a half inch at most. The aggression isn’t serious or persistent, I was honestly just curious about the peacocks behavior.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
They are in a 48x18 for right now. It is the one azul which is 3 inches long. And a few convicts which are a half inch at most. The aggression isn’t serious or persistent, I was honestly just curious about the peacocks behavior.
As long as you prove lots of cover you should be fine and as for the peacocks behavior I’m not entirely sure I’ve never kept one

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Liplocking is normal I’ve seen it before. It’s just a sign of aggression. Quite common with peacock bass to settle the hierarchy amongst themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store