Baby datnoid feeding

Edmon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2018
Philippines
I just bought this guy and luckily it eats right away. My datnoid is only 1 inch and i feed cherry shrimp to settle down.

My question is that i have a colony of cherry shrimp like hundreds, should i dump it all to my datnoid tank?

And if it eats all of my shrimp im planning to pellet train it after. Should i use the monkey see monkey do method?

Btw i don't know what type of datnoid is this.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just bought this guy and luckily it eats right away. My datnoid is only 1 inch and i feed cherry shrimp to settle down.

My question is that i have a colony of cherry shrimp like hundreds, should i dump it all to my datnoid tank?

And if it eats all of my shrimp im planning to pellet train it after. Should i use the monkey see monkey do method?

Btw i don't know what type of datnoid is this.
View attachment 1365166

I personally wouldn't dump them all. My concern would be water quality. Wouldn't want any shrimp to die and cause problems.

Reactions: islandguy11

Edmon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2018
Philippines
Thanks for the advice. But would "monkey see monkey do" pellet train method works? I will train it when all shrimps are gone.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If at all possible I would personally get the fish off live food as soon as possible. You can pre-soak the pellets in the juice of blood worms to soften/moisten and along with added smell/taste, increase the overall palatability. Feed once a day in the AM when the fish is hungriest. This method has worked for friends of mine when converting young dats. Yours looks pretty small so you have to be careful with regards to how many meals it misses during training. Good luck.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I trained an AT that was about the double the size then yours. It was stubborn as hell and it took me four months of training before it ate pellets soaked in musseljuice. The last month i tried the eat or die method and that worked fine. If you decide to go that route make sure its husky and healthy. Another thing that can help is fishes that are fast on the food and eating pellets already. Esp with datnioids. I have four indos in diffrent tanks but only one of the eating pellets atm and he is in a tank full of thinbar myleus and cichlids thats fast on the food. My AT only eats northfin krill gold and unfortunatly northfin is going to stop produce krill gold so i gave up on pellets for that fish.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think I must have won the NTT lottery lol, my baby Dat (3" when I got him about 4 months ago, now about 4") started eating pellets on the 2nd day after I brought him home. However he only eats Hikari Sinking Carnivore and spits out any other pellets I've tried. He'll eat frozen ghost shrimp sometimes but he clearly much prefers his pellets, so I'm worried he's getting a well-rounded enough diet. That said, he's turning into a little porky pig lol, I think I better cut back on his portions.

Much agreed with RD, best to get him off live food soon as you can, longer you wait the harder it will be.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I think I must have won the NTT lottery lol, my baby Dat (3" when I got him about 4 months ago, now about 4") started eating pellets on the 2nd day after I brought him home. However he only eats Hikari Sinking Carnivore and spits out any other pellets I've tried. He'll eat frozen ghost shrimp sometimes but he clearly much prefers his pellets, so I'm worried he's getting a well-rounded enough diet. That said, he's turning into a little porky pig lol, I think I better cut back on his portions.

Much agreed with RD, best to get him off live food soon as you can, longer you wait the harder it will be.

View attachment 1365510

I usually buys northfin krill gold, jumbo fish and carnivore and mix it up in a bin. My AT kind of sorting krill gold out and leaves the rest. Its funny as hell to watch.

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store