Baby Fire Eel

Koality

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have a baby fire eel in my 10g tank((he won’t be here for long I have a 100g coming soon with future expansion)the other fish also didn’t like him in the 83g) currently about 5-6” long. He’s got a few hiding spots and he bounces from one to another throughout the day. He comes to my hand and follows it a little bit so he seems reasonably happy. However I’m worried about his eating, I haven’t seen him eat at all since I brought him home 4 days ago. I have tried a bloodworm/tilapia mix, just bloodworms and I have small ghost shrimp and neon tetras readily available in the tank. Tetras might be a little too big still but they’re there if it wants one.

Also how long can a fire eel go without eating?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could try at night time. Sometimes switching to a live earthworm or black worms may help. That size could be a month before it starts to really stress out with no food.

Koality

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2018
AB1AF022-1667-44AE-B39D-E87A7459D2E3.jpeg I’ll try almost anything to get it to eat. I moved some of its tank mates out when I started the water change tonight. Water got merky and cloudy I’m assuming because of the amount of fish in the tank/the waste of some pellets and possibly I didn’t get all the stuff off my gravel during my wash.

I’m new to the aquarium system so I’m sure I probably just made a mistake during my initial set up.

I was feeding it around 2.5g of bloodworm tilapia mix 2-3 times a day and swapped to just a 5g block of bloodworms twice a day tonight. I read they love bloodworms as well and I got them when I bought him. He’s by far my favourite and I really liked my 4” iridescent shark.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Koality

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2018
Has the eel been eating?
Not really.i tried the freezes dried bloodworms also. It has to be eating something because it looks fine and acts okay. There were 2 days I had to move 1 minnow I to his tank but they didn’t get along and the minnow was trying to bite everything in the tank so it stressed them out. They seem much much happier now that I removed the minnow last night. So hopefully he can get a real feeding tonight. I plan on using a syringe to put the food closer to him when I get off work before bed tonight.

finn74

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
suitlnad Md
Fire eels love earth worms and night crawlers. They will also eat black worms. You can't go wrong with these foods. I've had pleanty of success feeding fire eels love foods. They will eventually begin small pieces of raw fish and or shrimp

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
View attachment 1336580 I’ll try almost anything to get it to eat. I moved some of its tank mates out when I started the water change tonight. Water got merky and cloudy I’m assuming because of the amount of fish in the tank/the waste of some pellets and possibly I didn’t get all the stuff off my gravel during my wash.

I’m new to the aquarium system so I’m sure I probably just made a mistake during my initial set up.

I was feeding it around 2.5g of bloodworm tilapia mix 2-3 times a day and swapped to just a 5g block of bloodworms twice a day tonight. I read they love bloodworms as well and I got them when I bought him. He’s by far my favourite and I really liked my 4” iridescent shark.
So if the eel isn’t eating the blood worms, you need to take them out if possible. They will cause your water to be cloudy. Also another thing that can easily be looked over when new, turn your filter off completely when messing with filter media. I once tried to pull my filter media out of an ac hob filter while it was still running and it polluted my water pretty bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store