Background Colour : thoughts & examples please

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
F FJB , the construction paper over the back of back looks brilliant, and an easy spray-paint for the in-tank plumbing to vanish. I'll absolutely get onto this when we set lighting to the office tank(s). For now, it's just glass & glass over an "Olive Fog" painted wall... and pipes & wires... and cobwebs.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Just a heads up if you spray paint your plumbing that is going inside your tank it will eventually peel and flake off even the krylon fusion paint. What I’ve been doing is using black electrical tape on internal plumbing and it works great.

Reactions: andyroo

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
One color option that gets overlooked is a dark brown. I have it in my 5 gal tank and I quite like it. I can find a pic or take one tomorrow if you’d like

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
That's my thought, that the grey might look a little hard against the plants... You're right that the brown makes the green 'pop"
Having said that, to fade the brown in a larger tank will look like dirty water, whereas fading to green/blue will look like clean water, and to grey/black will look like dark/deep water... is the idea :)

ps: I need to ask you about getting that moss to grow- love it, yard's full of it but I've never been able to get it to catch underwater.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I have the darker blue that came factory with my Seaclear acrylic. Didn’t think I would like it at first but it grew on me over the years.
90AE09DE-0B05-4A3D-AAD7-CA3086D84FC0.jpegADC902BB-6262-467F-AFE2-C74BB27FE7CF.jpeg

Reactions: Jacob92677

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That's my thought, that the grey might look a little hard against the plants... You're right that the brown makes the green 'pop"
Having said that, to fade the brown in a larger tank will look like dirty water, whereas fading to green/blue will look like clean water, and to grey/black will look like dark/deep water... is the idea :)

ps: I need to ask you about getting that moss to grow- love it, yard's full of it but I've never been able to get it to catch underwater.
Yea faded brown might not look as good haha

that moss ended up dying on me bc it was over run with hair algae, I threw the whole bundle out last night actually haha

the small subwrassatang ( Not sure how it’s spelled) is doing quite well in that tank Though, it’s attached to gravel and rocks and I haven’t done anything special for it

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Update: wife said she liked the render finish, and I agreed. Finished the 5th coat of epoxy (WestSystem) yesterday, it's been cool overnight so cure-cure-cure...
Below are the current & pending/trial canister filter options; may use both in series with bamboo charcoal in the white & foams in the blue.
Yes, the lights are likely too high, but can extend the cables if/when.

IMG_3256.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store