Background

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
I used a grass mat behind our 75. It was one of those beach mats, I mostly used under cars, so I cut out the best part and taped the edges so it would'nt unravel. Not a great pic- I'm inexperienced- but grass mats look natural and if you don't want real dark. Also, try roofing paper. It has 2 tones and is moisture resistant, you can crinkle it or fold it for contour.

IM000311.jpg

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
buffalo said:
I recently read about using aluminum foil for its ability to reflect light and really brighten up a tank, but I wonder about heat.
my buddy said he used aluminum foil that he crinkled up to make it have texture to it.. he said it looks cool.

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Dargath78 said:
Anyone know where to get oyama paper in the states? Or a website somewhere?
Check out your local advertising or photo shops. Thoes that print posters and banners, they should carry the oyama paper.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
boredcpl said:
my buddy said he used aluminum foil that he crinkled up to make it have texture to it.. he said it looks cool.
I sometimes use foil, more often than not, with a little crinkling you can give the illusion of depth and texture. I have never had a heat problem and if it gets messed up the replacement is in the kitchen drawer. It does look better with darker substrates and plants though. Light colored substrates cause a yellowish reflection. Colored foil christmas wrap work the same way and comes in different colors. Yes, I know I'm cheap but it does look good.

Dargath78

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
I thought that foil was bad if you have a planted tank because it difuses the light, I think thats what I read somewhere. It said you would be better off painting the area white than using foil. I think I read this when I was building my canopy for my AH supply retro.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I may be wrong but the light is coming from above, to be diffused it would have to pass THROUGH the foil and that isn't going to happen. Foil does reflect light from the back of the tank and color from the gravel so can make your fish's coloring appear washed out if you use a light colored gravel. Even silvery fish show up well against it when you use darker substrates and wrinkle the foil so that the light is not reflected from a flat plane directly towards the front of the tank.

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
guppy said:
Yes, I know I'm cheap but it does look good.
:iagree:

Seriously, I remember waaaayyy back in school we did these craft projects with foil. We smeared glue on a sheet of cardboard and stuck leaves, sticks, string or whatever to it then covered it with foil and pressed it with something to bring out the relief. Then we covered it with shoe polish (?) I think, or something colored, all kinds of colors anyway (whoa, I have tooo much time on my hands...).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store