Bad idea?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
So I found Post of facebook market of someone in my area that's building fish tanks on the side... I asked for 2 estimates a 6x2x2H and a 6x30"x18"H she said for both tanks it would only be 300 so about 150 each and she would use 3/8 glass... I then asked her if she would brace it and she said she would have to order it but she could which to me means that she was gonna build those tanks with 3/8 glass and no bracing... To me this didn't sound safe? But on the other hand what if I could get her to use 1/2 and brace it would the risk be worth it? The risk being how well can she build it.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
$150 for a brand new 180? I feel like the glass would cost that much, let alone her time.

I'm not sure if the 3/8" would bother me as much as the quality of craftsmanship

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I think she already has glass laying around but yes I see ur point

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So I found Post of facebook market of someone in my area that's building fish tanks on the side... I asked for 2 estimates a 6x2x2H and a 6x30"x18"H she said for both tanks it would only be 300 so about 150 each and she would use 3/8 glass... I then asked her if she would brace it and she said she would have to order it but she could which to me means that she was gonna build those tanks with 3/8 glass and no bracing... To me this didn't sound safe? But on the other hand what if I could get her to use 1/2 and brace it would the risk be worth it? The risk being how well can she build it.
I don't think I'd risk any tank over like 2 feet without bracing. Unless you're using some super thick glass...I can't find a thickness calculator that even gives the option of calculating for unbraced.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
idk. my latest experiences in buying tanks have all confirmed the old adage "you get what you pay for". in this case it sounds like you may be paying for a poorly built tank and very wet home.

Reactions: Dee eng

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
No no no..... 2ft deep needs to be 10mm thick, 30" needs to be 12mm.
3/8 will bow itself apart, even with bracing.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
She claims to be a tank builder yet obviously hasn't got the foggiest idea of glass thicknesses and the importance of bracing. If i was you i'd walk away. I'd also be sorely tempted to go back on this facebook site and give any would be hobbyist a heads up about these tanks. That price for a 180 is surely tempting, until you realise what you're actually getting. An uninformed newbie might jump at the chance and end up wrecking their home.

Oh, and even if you did supply your own glass what's to say her workmanship would be up to scratch. If she hasn't got a clue about glass thicknesses what's to day she knows what shes doing when building them. She probably uses glaziers putty to bond!!

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Very True guys I'll think I'll let it go... Although I would like to see her work bad or good

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
yes as was said you get what you pay for I had a 20 long break one time and 20 gallons can do some damage I can imagine what the bigger tanks could do if they break Just pay the price and get quality your house is worth so much more than a tank Personally I would never do anything bigger than a 55 on ground floor anything bigger and in the basement it goes or garage depending on where you live.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I see these people a lot in the reptile/amphibian industry where 3/8" glass is normal regardless of tank size.

Their craftsmanship is generally crap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store