Bad wake up this morning

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
I've had my three inch arowana for two weeks . he's ate great since the day I got him ,like really great . fed him three times a day , parts of krill shrimp that I broke off to get past tails and harder stuff and freeze dried bloodworms ..he was in a grow out 40 gallon tank all tests was have been perfect and just did water changes on tanks Friday ... So thats when it all changed .... My 8 yr old daughters last day of school was friday so I took her for ice cream by LFS which I needed to stop in anyways (of course lol) well she suckered me Into getting two small , maybe inch and half pushing two inch jack Dempseys ... This morning when I turned on the lights to feed them they was already having breakfast :-( could I have over fed him and killed him or did they just catch him ? He was always swimming but the little jacks are quick ! Never noticed anything during the day time and I watched him a whole lot .

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had my three inch arowana for two weeks . he's ate great since the day I got him ,like really great . fed him three times a day , parts of krill shrimp that I broke off to get past tails and harder stuff and freeze dried bloodworms ..he was in a grow out 40 gallon tank all tests was have been perfect and just did water changes on tanks Friday ... So thats when it all changed .... My 8 yr old daughters last day of school was friday so I took her for ice cream by LFS which I needed to stop in anyways (of course lol) well she suckered me Into getting two small , maybe inch and half pushing two inch jack Dempseys ... This morning when I turned on the lights to feed them they was already having breakfast :-( could I have over fed him and killed him or did they just catch him ? He was always swimming but the little jacks are quick ! Never noticed anything during the day time and I watched him a whole lot .

Sorry for your loss. Yes it was a possibility the JD's could have something to do with little Aro's death. Aro that size are very fragile and suggest raising them alone until past the 6 to 7 inch mark.

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
Jack Dempseys are aggressive. So it could be they just got the arowana. Especially since you weren't feeding him heavy food. When dealing wit certain cichlids and the lights are out you have no idea what is going on unless you are looking at it all night or video taping. I recently watch a whole tank of fish gang up on a pair of Rio Tempsique convict breeders I had and they hit them from all angles to get the fry. The father got injured fighting a parachromis Red tiger mota from lip locking and died three days later

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
Sorry for your loss. Yes it was a possibility the JD's could have something to do with little Aro's death. Aro that size are very fragile and suggest raising them alone until past the 6 to 7 inch mark.
Oh I won't make this mistake again !! Was way fond of him .. Will be getting another this week and will be raised alone ..

Reactions: tlindsey

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
I did feed flakes and pellets also , the aro didnt like them much and the JDS ate all that , thanks guys for the info !!!

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
Man I did the exact same with my 1st aro! Had him for about 2 weeks, perfect then I happened to stop into my spot and they had batch of long fin albino Oscar (had been searching for months) same size if not smaller than my silver so I figured it would be fine....I was wrong

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh I won't make this mistake again !! Was way fond of him .. Will be getting another this week and will be raised alone ..[/QUO
TE]

I think most of us have experienced mishaps in the hobby of fishkeeping.

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
I'm about to throw the jd's in to my Oscar tank lol but scared it might be something they had that killed him besides there mouth lol be getting rid of them and getting another aro this week :)

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
That's interesting, I recently got a juvenile silver around 4-5 inches, and I tossed him with my 9 inch oscar (coincidentally albino long fin) and he's been thriving, eating pellets already and have grown a lot already.

On a side note, anyone been to Tropiquarium in New Jersey, they have the coolest monster fish pond on the front, never seen an LFS with HUGE monsters before. Saw a silver aro that looked 3 feet long and decided I have no business in keeping something that looks like it can eat my arm. So I'm "giving" away my new juvenile aro in central NJ area for like 10-20 bucks if you can pick up from me :p

Probird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2017
That's interesting, I recently got a juvenile silver around 4-5 inches, and I tossed him with my 9 inch oscar (coincidentally albino long fin) and he's been thriving, eating pellets already and have grown a lot already.

On a side note, anyone been to Tropiquarium in New Jersey, they have the coolest monster fish pond on the front, never seen an LFS with HUGE monsters before. Saw a silver aro that looked 3 feet long and decided I have no business in keeping something that looks like it can eat my arm. So I'm "giving" away my new juvenile aro in central NJ area for like 10-20 bucks if you can pick up from me :p
Oh if I lived closer I'd be all over that !! But cincy area so gotta go back and hope they still have the other little guy there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store