Bala shark sucking slime?

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
A bit baffled yesterday. My male Marinae has been hanging out under the sand and not eating the last couple of days. Found out why yesterday I got a glimpse. The only tank mates are small plecos (bristlenose and a snowball). The other tank mates are a frontosa, other rays and then 3 bala sharks. Any thoughts on this? Is it damage from other fish, or something else and if so who would it be? Pics are in the net and then in the separated tank. No other rays have this damage.

IMG_0891.JPG

image1.JPG

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My guess is the plecos are sucking the slime coat off. Sometimes plecos, usually the wood eaters, get addicted to the taste of slime coats on bichirs, rays, gars and lungs.

The stress can lead to disease. The lesions can get infected. Ditch or separate the plecos. Doubt it was the bala, heard of flagtails doing it before but not bala sharks.

Last edited:

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
That's my conundrum... these plecos are so small I can't imagine they are the culprit.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
The rays are fairly defenseless against smaller foes, especially plecos that can basically attach themselves to what they eat. In the wild rays can use there strength to run away and bury themselves. In a barebottom tank they can only hang out and wait.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Update on this thing. He is in quarantine with whatever this is getting worse. Back fins are essentially white with a fungus like infection. The other rays are fine and there is nothing in there to make it worse... not sure what is up. He has eaten a shrimp and an earthworm and is active however not eating regularly by any stretch. Any thoughts ?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It sounds like the wounds have become infected. It's likely bacteria or fungus as there's nothing else that could be causing the damage. Your heater is covered right?

Nitrofurazone powder can safely treat many kinds of both bacteria and fungus without killing the biological filter in your system. It's a slow acting med but my favorite for external infections on rays. It is safe to them unlike copper and many other treatments that they just can't handle. Treats fungal infections and bacterial infections.

It's the main ingredient in Jungle's old Binox formula. Unfortunately that was discontinued. I now source mine from nationalfishpharm.com and buy in bulk powder. dosage on the bottle, just dissolve in really warm water first then add to filter box. Don't add straight to the tank, the powder can coat the fishes. This is the only source of pure nitrofurazone I know of in the USA. I see you're in Canada, I believe they may ship there or you may need to look online for a canadian source. Most treatments that contain nitrofurazone, mix it with several other medications to supplement the action. So check every medication on the MSDS against the sticky at the top of the stingray forum that contains the list of safe medications, to make sure you don't expose the ray to a questionable med.

First keep the water super clean. No ammonia, no nitrite and lowest nitrate you can maintain. Keep the lights low, try to keep it eating even if you have to use addictive foods like nightcrawlers chopped up, or blackworms. Don't stress the fish. You can try feeding with a turkey baster very gently drop foods near the front disc, you can also use this to remove old uneaten food without stressing the fish. Nets can really get them stressed if you use them to remove food in smaller quarantine tanks. Clear baster works best.

This is what I would recommend in your situation. If you find the medication online, consider express shipping. Post some updated pictures.

Also when you transfer a stressed ray or pup, consider trying to keep it fully submerged underwater inside of another, larger container. This will protect the slimecoat from air exposure and reduce stress as they don't breathe air. I notice your net photo it looks a little exposed.

Good luck

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Thanks very much. I actually had a call from a buddy today saying our water is messed up due to spring run off and the same thing happened to his rays last year. I am thinking this is adding to whatever happened to him. I have some nitrofurazone from a long time ago so assuming he does not get better with the new water filter I put on my drip pretty soon I will try it.

There are no heaters exposed in my tank and appreciate the keeping him submerged comment as that likely did not help.

I will keep you posted and appreciate it
It sounds like the wounds have become infected. It's likely bacteria or fungus as there's nothing else that could be causing the damage. Your heater is covered right?

Nitrofurazone powder can safely treat many kinds of both bacteria and fungus without killing the biological filter in your system. It's a slow acting med but my favorite for external infections on rays. It is safe to them unlike copper and many other treatments that they just can't handle. Treats fungal infections and bacterial infections.

It's the main ingredient in Jungle's old Binox formula. Unfortunately that was discontinued. I now source mine from nationalfishpharm.com and buy in bulk powder. dosage on the bottle, just dissolve in really warm water first then add to filter box. Don't add straight to the tank, the powder can coat the fishes. This is the only source of pure nitrofurazone I know of in the USA. I see you're in Canada, I believe they may ship there or you may need to look online for a canadian source. Most treatments that contain nitrofurazone, mix it with several other medications to supplement the action. So check every medication on the MSDS against the sticky at the top of the stingray forum that contains the list of safe medications, to make sure you don't expose the ray to a questionable med.

First keep the water super clean. No ammonia, no nitrite and lowest nitrate you can maintain. Keep the lights low, try to keep it eating even if you have to use addictive foods like nightcrawlers chopped up, or blackworms. Don't stress the fish. You can try feeding with a turkey baster very gently drop foods near the front disc, you can also use this to remove old uneaten food without stressing the fish. Nets can really get them stressed if you use them to remove food in smaller quarantine tanks. Clear baster works best.

This is what I would recommend in your situation. If you find the medication online, consider express shipping. Post some updated pictures.

Also when you transfer a stressed ray or pup, consider trying to keep it fully submerged underwater inside of another, larger container. This will protect the slimecoat from air exposure and reduce stress as they don't breathe air. I notice your net photo it looks a little exposed.

Good luck

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
So I went to put my male (who has healed) back into the tank and noticed the female is destroyed. The only plecos in there are very small.
Guess I just start eliminating tank mates until I figure it out. Seems to pick on one ray. never the big ones. Will get some better pics of the damage when it settles.
Tank mates are
Frontosa,
2 pictus cats
2 small bristlenose
3 raphael cats
3 large bala sharks

IMG_0986.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store