Bamboo Shark Question

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
yep. I had a brownbanded and he outgrew his 180 in yr. And take it from me. All the intentions to build a bigger home for them may not work out. So build them thier home....run it for a long while....then get your sharks. Or else youll be trying to find new homes for them sooner then you would like. Its heartbreaking for us and dangerous for them. Just my experience though. Not judging ur decisions i promis. :)

Bowdenr24

Feeder Fish
Jun 20, 2017
Hi everybody!

Never been on a forum or anything like that so my question may be out of place (point me in the right direction if it is) I would like to know what size aqurium i should have for an adult bamboo shark to live happily it's entire life. I plan on building one 8' long 3' wide and 2' high. Everywhere I look they say 180 to 220 gallons and I'm not buying it. I can't make the tank much bigger due to spacing so if that's still to small them I'll look for a different fish all together. Telling me I can't have what I want won't hurt my feelings any. The fish, whatever it may be comes 1st. Thanks

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Depends on the species of bamboo shark. For example - a 360 gallon tank - (8 foot x 3 foot x 2 foot) - would be okay for most available species - except for the Brown-banded bamboo(aka Banded Bamboo). Basically Brown-banded Bamboos can grow to more than 4 feet long - not the 40 inches often claimed. As is (40-42 inches) actually closer to the average size for this species. Because of this - a good tank/pond size for this species should be at least 650 gallons/2,460 liters. The White-spotted Bamboo is a good choice - since they average about 30-32 inches - with a maximum size of ~ 37 inches. Still a 360 gallon tank or pond would close to the minimum size for an adult - I would suggest for this species. The Gray and Arabian Bamboos (if you can find them) are even smaller - with a maximum size of about 30 inches. So a 360 gallon for be a very good size for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store