Barramundi Question

DeadFriends

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2011
Massachusetts.
Hey. So I’ve been trying to get the local Asian market to sell me live bowfin and they keep saying no. But they have barramundi and some other interesting stuff. I know that they can be fresh or saltwater. I picked a couple up today and put them in my quarantine tank and they both died. I’m wondering if you guys think that the ones at the fish market are fresh or salt. I would ask the people that work there but none of them speak English, and the conversations I try to have with them are very difficult . I was thinking of trying again with the barramundi but I don’t really know if it’s worth it to bring home another one just for it to die. Sorry if this is rambly I’ve got a concussion. Haha.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey. So I’ve been trying to get the local Asian market to sell me live bowfin and they keep saying no. But they have barramundi and some other interesting stuff. I know that they can be fresh or saltwater. I picked a couple up today and put them in my quarantine tank and they both died. I’m wondering if you guys think that the ones at the fish market are fresh or salt. I would ask the people that work there but none of them speak English, and the conversations I try to have with them are very difficult . I was thinking of trying again with the barramundi but I don’t really know if it’s worth it to bring home another one just for it to die. Sorry if this is rambly I’ve got a concussion. Haha.
Hope this helps until someone experienced chimes in.https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/barramundi-information.87204/

DeadFriends

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2011
Massachusetts.
Great informative thread. Didn’t answer my question but I learned a lot. I’d done plenty of research on them and am prepared to own one. But I’m just wondering if the fish from the market are just garbage fish in general. I got a goby from there a week ago and have been treating it and quarantining it and it’s doing great. The barramundi just didn’t work out. I was wondering if it was because of salt or if they’re just bad fish in general. Super Specific question, I know.

Sgowan713

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2019
The fish at the live market are usually shipped from farms that grow them in fresh to brackish water. Generally live haulers would ship at 5-7ppt and cooler temps like 24-26*C. I am not sure the exact conditions the market will have them in, but they are going to be on the fresher side for sure.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Easiest thing to do is do a reading on the water they come in from the store. Don't they give you a bag?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wow they have bowfin?
When they get them,the barras that are sold in the markets here are in freshwater but they are usually in pretty rough shape and very crowded in the tanks.I suspect you would have to be careful in acclimating them to your tank's water temperature since those tanks are usually unheated.
I've brought a few rescues home from markets in the past and none of them lasted very long.I chalked the deaths up to the poor conditions they were kept in and not acclimating them properly.
I would bring my own bucket and simply instruct the fishmonger to not kill the fish and to place it in my bucket with some water.

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
Great informative thread. Didn’t answer my question but I learned a lot. I’d done plenty of research on them and am prepared to own one. But I’m just wondering if the fish from the market are just garbage fish in general. I got a goby from there a week ago and have been treating it and quarantining it and it’s doing great. The barramundi just didn’t work out. I was wondering if it was because of salt or if they’re just bad fish in general. Super Specific question, I know.
Where is the Geographic area of the markets you get the barramundi from?? Barramundi are fantastic fishes, although you'll need to triple consider the tank size obligations and mates tell me they are quite likely to empty out their tank including their same kind. They are quite hardy fishes too, one key reason they are a popular aquaculture specimen.

Anyway, barramundi in my part of the world are grown in brackish to almost completely salt water. I don't have experience in acclimatisation of fishes in saltwater to freshwater, but I won't think it's very simple. Perhaps you will have better luck purchasing from an actual ornamental fish shop. Hope that helps...

Reactions: DeadFriends
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store