Bass bully datnoid

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
Hey guys , I’m kinda new to this getting back to it first time since high school . Think I’m doing ok . I have 2 peacocks and an Arowana that grew up together in a 75 that are now in a 220 . Introduced a tiger datnoid into the mix a couple weeks ago (only a couple weeks after introducing my og fish to the tank ) things are fine . But yesterday I rescaped added some more driftwood . And one bass is sizing up my datnoid big time . The bass is about 6 inches , datnoid is 4 . I have not seen any nipping or aggression just the datnoid looks visibly stressed and the bass goes up to him and swims still about 5 inches away from him just cornering him . And sometimes the second bass joins in The Arowana is chill at the top . Just one more time for reference . Datnoid is 4-5 inches . Both bass 6-7 inches . Aro is about 14 inches . Any thoughts guys I want my fish to get along and I’m worried for my tiger

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys , I’m kinda new to this getting back to it first time since high school . Think I’m doing ok . I have 2 peacocks and an Arowana that grew up together in a 75 that are now in a 220 . Introduced a tiger datnoid into the mix a couple weeks ago (only a couple weeks after introducing my og fish to the tank ) things are fine . But yesterday I rescaped added some more driftwood . And one bass is sizing up my datnoid big time . The bass is about 6 inches , datnoid is 4 . I have not seen any nipping or aggression just the datnoid looks visibly stressed and the bass goes up to him and swims still about 5 inches away from him just cornering him . And sometimes the second bass joins in The Arowana is chill at the top . Just one more time for reference . Datnoid is 4-5 inches . Both bass 6-7 inches . Aro is about 14 inches . Any thoughts guys I want my fish to get along and I’m worried for my tiger

If your Datnoid is being harrassed I suggest removing the Datnoid.

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
If your Datnoid is being harrassed I suggest removing the Datnoid.
That’s it? That black and white ? There’s been no biting just kinda intimidation and the datnoid just rushed him to say leave me alone . Hoping it just resolves itself

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Various options

1) remove either 1
2) wait till they get along
3) wait till either one get stressed and sick
4) see if having more hideout works
5) get a bigger tank

if it makes you feel better i am facing the same problem....but at slightly larger size.... i just wait it out

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
Various options

1) remove either 1
2) wait till they get along
3) wait till either one get stressed and sick
4) see if having more hideout works
5) get a bigger tank

if it makes you feel better i am facing the same problem....but at slightly larger size.... i just wait it out
My tank is a 220 I can’t go much bigger . Thank you for the advice it kinda confirms what I was thinking . Just let it play out hopefully my datnoid will grow some balls and protect himself then it will be fine

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think the bass may also outgrow the dat and maybe try to eat him.
So be careful !
If you want to try it put some hiding spots in the tank.
Small dats like to hide themselfes.
Yeah for sure the Pbass will grow much faster than Dat; don't know if they'll actually try to eat him (they'll be in for a big surprise when it's top spikes get caught in their throat) but they will stress out the Dat as they establish their dominance in the tank. If you are going to keep them I'd for sure get some nice hide out for the Dat if you don't already have as Malte81 suggests, Dats are lurkers, not free swimmers (except when they get bigger).

I had the same exact problem and then same sized fish, so with sad heart took the Pbass back to LFS, it was a beauty but the Dat was there first and I dig him even more.

Snookcrook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2019
Ok cool thanks fir all the advice . I’ve git my 75 gallon set up in another room now to transfer the datnoid into . Any advice in the future for tank mates for him in the 75 . And also for the other 220 with the peacocks and Arowana

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Hurler (11"kel) is in a tank with a 3-4" geo. Luther has tried to eat him once. Grabbed his head but geo got away. I have added plants and the geo has a cave although he seldom uses it. I'm not sure if a dat will hide or if that's natural. The geo appears to have learned the game as he tries to hold still and all is well. Quick movement will interest the bass. Theo who is an 8" kel instigates much more as she will be the first to lunge at the geo. Theo wants to know what is going on all over the tank. Luther, not so much.
The geo actually will swim all areas of the tank with caution with the current set up. He has healed and eats all the time.
One thing I can tell you regarding my bass. You need to keep them well fed. They are used to a healthy large diet. If I skip feedings the geo is in much more danger.
This is just my experience with my kels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store