Bat Rays?

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Cant seem to find any care on these guys, so how big do they get? tank size reco.? temp? diet? do they always need 100% coldwater???? are they active? i dont plan on keeping one anytime soon but would be awesome to know the requirements on how to properly keep one.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
i believe batrays can get 5' across, cownose ray are smaller, both come from different areas, batray is from the pacific ocean and the cownose is fron the atlantic

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
They are almost like cownose for care, except cooler water. I'd go 15' (round) or bigger for a pool. Not saying that can't go square... they handle corners very well.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
So 48sq ft is to small? How much cooler , like smooth hound temps? I do plan on having a native outdoor saltwater pond in the near future (am in Cali).from reading on that site couldn't they thrive in warm waters as they are found in Africa and the Caribbean.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The link was for cownose? Is that the right one? I've had cownose in temps as high as mid 90s down to low 60s. There are drastic changes in behavior and biological process in them below 70F.

I've always run batrays at roughly 60. We ran a few at 70 for awhile in a quarantine situation, but acclimated them lower to match the exhibit temp at 60-63F.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I'm confused... are we talking batrays or cownose rays?
Batrays have a more pointed rostrum, and tend to live in cooler water and kelp beds.
Cownose have a rounded rostrum, and tend to stay more tropical in large groups and stay just offshore and will frequent inlets and grass flats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store