Bay snook

Charlied81

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2021
Pa
I have a red bay snook I got a few months ago. I really like this fish! I'd like to get probably 2 more whether it's a red bay or green bay and do a Central American tank setup. I can't find any for sale aanywhere. I've tried online stores, lfs, ebay, craigslist.. Any leads??

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Cichlids of Americas and TUIC has the green form now. Not sure where you were looking.
Interesting thing about the red form-they get their color from red lillies. They like to ambush prey in them. This form is only found in Belize. They are all green elsewhere.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
From what I heard the guy who did the most volume that got out to LFS dropped them. This is probably going to be a hard fish to find for a while. It would be a good home/aquabid project. Demand for the fish was never outstanding, but it definitely has its fans. Not sure your tank size but be prepared for a big fish. I think it is well worth a large setup.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Agree w/ the above. Also not aggressive and don’t have a jaw structure that can w/ stand jaw locking. Think stocking them in a community tank is hard too. Can’t keep them w/ most large CAs and can’t keep w/ small ones because they’ll be eaten. Convicts while aggressive would become food for a large snook. That may be part of the reason they aren’t more popular. Good tankmates would probably be pearsei, bocourti, and melanura.

Reactions: Charlied81

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
not aggressive and don’t have a jaw structure that can w/ stand jaw locking. Think stocking them in a community tank is hard too. Can’t keep them w/ most large CAs and can’t keep w/ small ones because they’ll be eaten..
Agree, I kept the red morph in the late 80s, and when kept with other (even somewhat aggressive) cichlids, would frequently get their jaws dislocated.
I would need to snap the jaw back in place, gently between thumb and fore finger. So ended up giving my trio, a 6 ft tank of their own.
The males can reach 16"-18", so take that into account, they can also get spooked fairly easily, and injure themselves on tank sides.
In nature adults are usually found in deeper waters. sometimes a bit brackish, hard, pH high 7s to above 8.

Charlied81

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2021
Pa
I have him in a 180g. Today i picked up 2 synspilum. A black belt and a red head. Hopefully it goes well. I content with the 3 in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store