Be careful dosing aquarium with Hydrogen Peroxide

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sorry to hear - it always sucks to lose a fish when it’s a stupid mistake.

I’m still dealing with the fallout of deciding not to increase oxygen while dosing chemiclean.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah and the worst part besides losing the fish is it was my 2yr old Granddaughters favorite aquarium to look at.?
I’m sure you’ll get it back up and running for her in no time!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sorry for your loss. I wonder what/why happened?
I have not used peroxide in a while, but did use it extensively in my own battle with BBA.
Never good loosing our fish.
Around late March is when I last dosed with Hydrogen Peroxide but today used too much.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don’t dose peroxide but spray peroxide on exposed plants and hard surfaces when I drain the tank during water change. Some peroxide will fall off into water when I refill the tank but not enough to harm life stock. I dose Glutaraldehyde ( Excel) after refilling the tank as general algae suppressant. I’ve been doing it in weekly water change for years with no issue. I wouldn’t dose peroxide as it is volatile and hard to control the effective concentration.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Update: Did a water change and picked up 4 small convicts I know right and a pair of Platy.
I added a seeded Bio -wheel from another aquarium because I believe the beneficial bacteria died also. Checked the Ammonia Alert prior it was 0 ppm. My Api test kit is expired but had updated 5 in one test strip so used that for testing. I have 3 Amazon Swords and a Anubius in the aquarium. I will be observing and testing for awhile.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store