Beastie Boys Win $1.7 Million in Their Copyright Lawsuit Against Monster Energy Drink

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
After Monster Energy used Beastie Boys' music in a promotional video, the group sought up to $2.5 million for copyright infringement and false endorsement.

The Beastie Boys have won their lawsuit against Monster Beverage, which was initiated in 2012 after the company illegally used Beastie Boys' music in a promotional video, Rolling Stone reports. Following the group's previously-reported testimonials, the Beastie Boys have been awarded $1.5 million, though Monster's lawyer told Reuters that they plan to appeal the verdict.

The Beastie Boys' lawsuit against Monster Energy Drink was initiated in 2012 after the company included parts of the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage," "So What'cha Want," "Make Some Noise" and "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" on a promotional video on their website. They also allegedly included a 23-minute medley of Beastie Boys songs made available for download as an MP3. As Rolling Stone reports, the songs were taken from footage of a live set by DJ Z-Trip at the Canadian festival "Ruckus in the Rockies", which was sponsored by Monster and held only a few days after Adam Yauch died in May of that year.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55466-bea...pyright-lawsuit-against-monster-energy-drink/

Reactions: Gr8KarmaSF

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
So many appeals agree going to follow, good luck seeing any of that money for years to come.

JohnnyDragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2017
What in the world ?!?!

Has Monster Energy lost its corporate mind?!

Are the suing everybody in the hopes that one Judge will award them money?!

Ridiculous!

I'm glad I saw this before I bought another one of their drinks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store