Beautiful but Jerk(ish) Anostomus & other HEADSTANDERS

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, the Abramites certainly go in the jerkish and headstanding categories as well.
I had one of those years ago. A very interesting fish.
Streaming fins as in geos, angels or anything like that tempt the jerks beyond their minimal self-control.
Good for your Geos!

Reactions: Deadeye

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
1619796708549.png
The jerk in question.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I also have a pretty good sized Abramites hypselonotus. He's in a 125 with about 12 mascara barbs. I haven't seen the jerkiness, mine is more shy than anything. I would like to find a few more that are close in size to see how a group works.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
A couple of times I have seen groups (at good fish stores) among recent arrivals, and these have been small (young) fish. I have also seen groups of Anostomus a couple of times. In all those, I have not seen much evidence of serious aggression (in the short period I could observe them). It is very possible that in larger groups the aggression can be prevented.
With Anostomus, the second time I have them (since ~3.5 years ago), I started with 3 fish, and one was quickly killed in aggression with the others. The two left fought without stop, so I had to find a home (gave away) one of them. The one left is my beloved jerk. He is currently in a mixed tank and has been behaving quite well (photo).
Would you post pictures of your large Abramites? Cheers!

IMG_0946.jpg

Reactions: robmcd and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store