Beginner here need some advice on tank

Jl1217

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
As the headline states I'm new to this and I'm setting up a 55 gallon tank for my new fish . I was told with this size tank I could go with 3 red belly piranaha s it that correct ? Water temp should be around 75 to 80 from what I'm reading on around 7 or 8 for the ph level but I can't find anymore information everything is new from plants to gravel to hiding spots so if anyone can give me a advice on what else I should do before I go spend the money on the piranaha s i would like them not to die cause of something I did
Thanks
Justin

DarthRhom

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
New Jersey
You'll be fine starting out with that. Temp range is fine. Stability is more important for the PH. Your tank is small for keeping Piranha so you need to put in work. Frequent water changes and live plants to help water quality. You may also experience territorial issues as they get bigger. Try and upgrade the tank by next year if possible.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Make sure the tank is cycled prior to putting fish in it. Take into consideration what’s already been mentioned.

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
a 55 gal is fine for 3 red bellies or if you are worried try for a smaller serra species

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
What do you mean by cycled? Thank you.
Cycled means that the tank has the beneficial bacteria needed to convert ammonia into nitrite into nitrate. This may take a couple of days-a couple of months depending on the size of the tank and if you put in rocks/sand or a used filter from a different tank, it could speed up the process since those things already have the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia and nitrite can kill fish, even in tiny amounts. A good established tank should only have nitrates, but not too high. 40ppm or less is a good for nitrate. Over 120ppm is toxic. Lakes,rivers,ponds, and streams usually have very low nitrates, under 10ppm.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
What do you mean by cycled? Thank you.
Nitrate cycle in 10 seconds for you.

fish waste in the tank creates ammonia- very poisonous to fish. Bacteria grows on surfaces within the water that eats the ammonia, then produces a new waste called nitrites, also toxic. Another bacteria grows and eats that and ends up creating nitrates- less harmful in smaller doses.Nitrates are taken out of the water by doing water changes, and also reduced by plants.

a fully cycled tank will have enough bacteria that it will not have any ammonia or nitrite readings when tested. It should have nitrates however even in low quantity

mmg79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2020
Nitrate cycle in 10 seconds for you.

fish waste in the tank creates ammonia- very poisonous to fish. Bacteria grows on surfaces within the water that eats the ammonia, then produces a new waste called nitrites, also toxic. Another bacteria grows and eats that and ends up creating nitrates- less harmful in smaller doses.Nitrates are taken out of the water by doing water changes, and also reduced by plants.

a fully cycled tank will have enough bacteria that it will not have any ammonia or nitrite readings when tested. It should have nitrates however even in low quantity
Awesome information. So to recycle is it like dumping water and refilling it with clean water? Also should I worry with my type of house water I put in the tank too? I have a soft water system for my house? Thank you again.

mmg79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2020
Cycled means that the tank has the beneficial bacteria needed to convert ammonia into nitrite into nitrate. This may take a couple of days-a couple of months depending on the size of the tank and if you put in rocks/sand or a used filter from a different tank, it could speed up the process since those things already have the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia and nitrite can kill fish, even in tiny amounts. A good established tank should only have nitrates, but not too high. 40ppm or less is a good for nitrate. Over 120ppm is toxic. Lakes,rivers,ponds, and streams usually have very low nitrates, under 10ppm.
Oh I see!! Thank you!!

Reactions: Fishnerd360

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
yea the 55 is a minimum but as long as you have plants and kina 3 "territories" for you RBPs you should do fine aggressionwise, also they are very messy eaters and can affect you water quality so make sure you have good filtration and frequent water changes (20% a week or so)

Reactions: mmg79
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store