Beginner here with 120g drilled tank off craigslist

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hi everyone I hope I'm doing this right. Apologies if I'm not. I have been wanting to upgrade my 29g tank for some time (a few of my fish getting a little big for it, plus I just wanted a bigger one) so I got this 120g tank for $50 off craigslist this weekend. Figured I could turn around and sell it back if I can't get it up and running. So I decided to post here asking if anyone here would know what I need to do (and buy!) to get this tank running.

The tank: 2' x 4' and 2' high, with 4 holes drilled in the bottom (going to upload pics) comes with a Marineland 360 filter that I then found out has some damage, though I'm told it works, haven't gotten to try it out yet. Looked up a video on how to set it up, thought I was fine till I realised it was missing the piping. The tank comes with no lid (so I need to track one of those down or make one) and it came with this white PVC piping that may have been custom made for this tank by the previous (original) owner, who is ill and not available to show me any of it. I just need to know where to start with this, or whether it'd be better for me to sell it on and get something that isn't bottom drilled. I'm more than willing to learn especially since it took me and my parents all our might to get the tank home and into my place, and they aren't up for doing that again and I don't have any friends around here who'd be able to help me move another one in.

Thanks all for any help you can lend me!

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

Apologies for the dirty tank--I haven't yet begun the cleaning.

Reactions: J. H.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Looks like you got a great deal with all the parts you need so long as it holds water :)

I'd run it through a sump rather than that canister.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Since the tank is already drilled, a sump would be the best thing you could put on it. I tried running canisters on my 210 when I first got it, and I eventually upgraded to a sump anyways. They filter better than anything else available, and are extremely easy to maintain.

You could make a sump out of a 40 breeder and have all the needed equipment in it for about $200.

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Wow guys, thank you so much!

...Is it hard to make a sump? I've never used a sump much less made one, lol. I'm as green as they come...lol

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Wow guys, thank you so much!

...Is it hard to make a sump? I've never used a sump much less made one, lol. I'm as green as they come...lol
Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis would be able to explain how to make one, as he built his from scratch.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
First, Welcome to MFK!
I am assuming you understand what the plumbing you have is and you know how to install it.
There is tons of information on sumps and sump layout all over the web.
I would first watch some videos and read a lot and decide what you want to include in the sump. Then go from there with the design.
Then when you have specific questions come back and ask them. There are a lot of great minds on MFK and im sure if you run into any problems there will someone here to answer any questions for you.

Reactions: DN328 and Grinch

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I bought a 55 gallon already converted to a sump for $20 on craigslist a few months ago... can be a good way to go if the tank's in good condition and you like/understand how the sump is set up.

Reactions: DN328

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Big-G: No, I don't know. lol. But I'll start reading up and trying to figure it out then come back here with my questions! Thank you!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Well the bulk heads are the fittings on the bottom of the PVC that will seal the plumbing into the tank. The pipes with the curve sections and strainers are durso stand pipes. They drain the water from the tank to the sump. The others are your returns. It looks to me that the tank was originally set up to have a drain and a return in each overflow tower (thats the black sections with the strain holes cut in them). The returns were on the left of the left tower and right on the right tower. With the drains setup towards the center.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis would be able to explain how to make one, as he built his from scratch.
I did a 55 for my sump but I think yours would be best with a 40 breeder as then sump. A 29 will work fine in a pinch though. All I did was get a used 55 on Craigslist and I was lucky to score a 2 month old tank for $40. Then I measured the internal dimensions and had a person at Lowes or Home Depot cut the baffles out of plexiglass for me. There is controversy over using plexiglass with silicone in a glass tank, but it worked fine for me. I recommend leaving at least an inch at the top of your higher baffles so that water can flow over them in the even of a clog. The sky is the limit really. You can put whatever baffles you want in, or none at all. You can set up sponges for mechanical or you can use filter socks (I recommend filter socks. I have sponges and will probably switch to socks at some point). You will just want to size your pump correctly and make sure you factor in head height when sizing it. Here are a few pictures of the sump I built.

IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG

I run about 1600gph through this sump and it works very well.

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store