Beginner!! Please help set up 55gal

AjFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2018
Hello; I run an HOB on a 55 gallon that does fine.
I also have two UGF's running with air from an air pump which might not work with sand. UGF's are not current tech but I have run them for several decades. The point being I like some sort of air bubbler in a tank.

Hello; Sand has some issues. One is fine sand can compact and form toxic gas pockets. The cure is to have the sand at no more than an inch or stir it up every few days.
Another issue can be that sand can get into a filter and wear out the impeller quickly. Giving the sand a very good rinse will help some. I no longer use sand but many still do.

hello; may I suggest getting two smaller heaters and not just one. If you need 200 watts then get two 100 watt heaters. There are good reasons for this.

Good luck
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. I guess two heaters in beneficial in case something happens to one of them there is still some heat coming into the tank, allowing for valuable time to discover and address the problem.

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
This is the easiest way to build a stand, just get planks and screw them together. You can always veneer it with thin sheets of wood as well! GL welcome to the hobby!

stand.jpg

Reactions: AjFishKeeper

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
This is the easiest way to build a stand, just get planks and screw them together. You can always veneer it with thin sheets of wood as well! GL welcome to the hobby!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. I guess two heaters in beneficial in case something happens to one of them there is still some heat coming into the tank, allowing for valuable time to discover and address the problem.
Hello; It can work both ways. As you have figured if one fails off then the other can keep the temps up enough.
The other thing that has happened to me is a heater sticks on. One strong heater can "cook" a tank.

Also as far as what power the heater needs to be will vary with the conditions. If your tank is in a heated room then the heater only needs to make up the difference between room temp and the desired tank temp. In a cooler basement or garage the tank heaters may need to do more.

Reactions: AjFishKeeper

AjFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2018
Hello; It can work both ways. As you have figured if one fails off then the other can keep the temps up enough.
The other thing that has happened to me is a heater sticks on. One strong heater can "cook" a tank.

Also as far as what power the heater needs to be will vary with the conditions. If your tank is in a heated room then the heater only needs to make up the difference between room temp and the desired tank temp. In a cooler basement or garage the tank heaters may need to do more.
Very interesting points i never thought of, thank you!

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
Don't forget to let your aquarium heater adjust to the aquarium water temperature before you plug it in, otherwise the heater will explode and you'll have to buy a new one.

Reactions: tlindsey

AjFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2018
Don't forget to let your aquarium heater adjust to the aquarium water temperature before you plug it in, otherwise the heater will explode and you'll have to buy a new one.
Wow I have never heard of that. Thanks!

The more I look into green terrors the more I think I might be cutting it close on tank size with a green terror and my fish might not be happy. What about a pair of electric blue acara's, some corycats and maybe some schooling active fish.

AjFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2018
Maybe two electric blue acaras, an angelfish, and some lace catfish. I'm open to suggestions and ultimately I just want happy healthy fish

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Maybe two electric blue acaras, an angelfish, and some lace catfish. I'm open to suggestions and ultimately I just want happy healthy fish
The lace cat will grow large and produce a ton of waste for your tank. The blue acaras will work. A larger deeper bodied tetra will add movement and help fill out the tank.

Good luck! This hobby is all-consuming in a good way!

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Speaking of all consuming, he could always get some senegal bichirs! You won't regret it, ever ;)

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store