Belgium weather blows - ideas on what to stock outside

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I used live in Wisconsin where winters easily dropped well below freezing, in fact ice on lakes near me was regularly 3 to 4 feet thick, and many fish survived, and even required those cold periods for good health.
I had to over winter many pond fish inside in the basement because my ponds would freeze to the bottom.
Sturgeon
Amia calva (very snake head like)
pike, pickerel, musky
many sun fish, perch all worked well.
Bowfin in freezing water?
Bowfin was actually one of my indoor plans, I love that fish.
If it can live through the winter, I need me a pair!

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Well you’re pretty much stuck with cold water fish.
Try, Alligator Gars, Sturgeon, Chinese Tigerfish, Bagarius Yareli, maybe long nose gars. That’s all I can think of on top of my head that might be okay in your winter.
Would a gar live through the winter before adult size? I know they are hardy fish, and I "could" raise one in a tank until it outgrows it, but that sounds like a gamble, does it not? You guys might actually bring hope to actually have some decent fish in these waters. :)

Probably wouldn't have the flow and oxygen for a Bagarius, though.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I also believe the European Wels Catfish can survive a fairly cold winter
I thought of that, they live in our waters, like any other European country since they're pretty invasive, but if I get a wels, I'm basically giving up on any other fish AND have to prepare to feed a 2-3m long fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Northern variants of gar could live thru the winter, there are northern varients found in Wisconsin, but southern variants like Florida gar, may not tolerate your cold conditions.
But as esoxlucius said above, with natural colored fish, you may only see them occasionally, and only if the sun is just right.
There is a reason highly colored carp were line bred millennia ago, for even in shallow ponds, because natural colored fish are almost invisible.
I put cichlids on my ponds spring to fall, most the time, they were only visible around 11AM for an hour or so, unless I snorkeled in the pond.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Northern variants of gar could live thru the winter, there are northern varients found in Wisconsin, but southern variants like Florida gar, may not tolerate your cold conditions.
But as esoxlucius said above, with natural colored fish, you may only see them occasionally, and only if the sun is just right.
There is a reason highly colored carp were line bred millennia ago, for even in shallow ponds, because natural colored fish are almost invisible.
I put cichlids on my ponds spring to fall, most the time, they were only visible around 11AM for an hour or so, unless I snorkeled in the pond.
Makes me think I should limit myself to platinum versions if I ever want to see my fish, but while platinum argus are easy to come by, platinum gars are on a whole other budget.

I still need to figure out the way ponds work, and whilst stone ponds seem clearer, they're not feasible with a normal person budget, this is fun, having to figure things out and make whatever I can, work.

Thanks for your infos guys, if anyone has other ideas, i'm all ears! :D

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Would a gar live through the winter before adult size? I know they are hardy fish, and I "could" raise one in a tank until it outgrows it, but that sounds like a gamble, does it not? You guys might actually bring hope to actually have some decent fish in these waters. :)

Probably wouldn't have the flow and oxygen for a Bagarius, though.
Just a recommendation you’re going to need to obviously condition/ prepare yourself/fish for this. Personally I think with a “water feature” and the return of the pump you’ll be fine unless you run a mud pond

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
A pond bottom layered with flat white stone on the bottom, can make fish (even natural colored ones) visable.

That's actually amazingly good looking. Might not be doable, cost wise for a pond that size in one go, but definitely can be done over time. :)
Doesn't it get green with sun exposure?

Would white sand work if it turns out to be cheaper than rocks or are rocks better because you have a longer time before dirt gets to it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That's actually amazingly good looking. Might not be doable, cost wise for a pond that size in one go, but definitely can be done over time. :)
Doesn't it get green with sun exposure?

Would white sand work if it turns out to be cheaper than rocks or are rocks better because you have a longer time before dirt gets to it?
This photo with the large sones is a small Cenote in Mexico that gets probably a 100 % water change every day or more times per day from the upwelling of water from an under ground rivers. Here is a video of that, or similar Cenote.
027 zps4b102ffd
And the schools of live bearers are constantly feasting on the algae that does grow.
It is also surrounded by lush forest canopy that filters the light, with roots extending into the water that use the nutrients.

• Love
Reactions: Madou
Bowfin in freezing water?
Bowfin was actually one of my indoor plans, I love that fish.
If it can live through the winter, I need me a pair!
Here is a bowfin range map:
Image result for bowfin range map
Water regularly freezes in much of this range. As you can see it goes all the way up to lake michigan and southern canada. You can skate on pond ice around there (i know from experience). Based on this, I would think they could live in freezing water, but I'm no expert.

Reactions: Madou
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store