Belly Crawler Pike Being Shy

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
I’ve had my belly crawler pike for about 17 months now. He’s 8 inches and he’s normally really excited to see his feeders and he’ll normally come out to the top and let me now he’s hungry. Well lately he got transferred to a different house, but left in the same tank. I gave him cover and he’s in a 75 gal with a red devil with a tank divider between the 2. He no longer comes out to eat and when I feed him he shows no interest. Can anyone give me advice?

BFABE3A3-22DB-4B9F-8009-AA83A7D86CDD.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you were buying store bought feeders, any parasites in the feeders could now be affecting the fish due to stress lowering its immune system. The stress is caused by being in a new tank and having an aggressive tank mate that it can see. The water at the new house could have much different water parameters.

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
Should I QT him and treat with something to build his slime coat? He doesn’t seem to have any visible parasites on him.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you have an extra tank that is cycled, yes, quarantine and treat for internal parasites.

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
Update!! Moved the pike to the big tank, and by observation I’ve determined that his light coloration was most likely due to an attempt to camouflage. As for him being shy I think maybe he was still afraid of the red devil even tho they were separated. In the 125 there isn’t a bigger fish than him and he’s very active and no longer shy!

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store