Best filtration for a 300 gallon

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh overflow boxes. Yeah they're an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't use one on my tanks, but that's me.
That's cool.It seemed like you deliberately didnt mention them in your post and I was just wondering what your thoughts were regarding them.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Would you consider drilling yourself? It’s not as hard as it seems. I’ve done it several times now. Sump is definitely the most simple and effective option. Canisters are a lot more up keep my fx5 is sitting under the house empty. A sump was just way more practical easier to maintain, more media space and increases water volume.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Would you consider drilling yourself? It’s not as hard as it seems. I’ve done it several times now. Sump is definitely the most simple and effective option. Canisters are a lot more up keep my fx5 is sitting under the house empty. A sump was just way more practical easier to maintain, more media space and increases water volume.
I thought about it when I was shopping around for a new overflow box a while ago.I didn't think that drilling would be too hard to do but if the glass should crack for some reason I would be majorly screwed lol.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I thought about it when I was shopping around for a new overflow box a while ago.I didn't think that drilling would be too hard to do but if the glass should crack for some reason I would be majorly screwed lol.
Haha when i started drilling the first hole on my new 600 I had ever horrible scenario possible running through my head. I just kept the hose on the hole while drilling zero issues. I’d be nervous doing thin glass though. I wasn’t sure what was going to be worse if it cracked the fact I ruined my new pride and joy or telling my wife

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Haha when i started drilling the first hole on my new 600 I had ever horrible scenario possible running through my head. I just kept the hose on the hole while drilling zero issues. I’d be nervous doing thin glass though. I wasn’t sure what was going to be worse if it cracked the fact I ruined my new pride and joy or telling my wife
So is it simply a matter of placing the right kind of drill bit or is a particular kind of drill required?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
So is it simply a matter of placing the right kind of drill bit or is a particular kind of drill required?
I used my makita battery drill on the slow speed setting and bought a suction tile drilling rig if you check my island tank thread there’s photos of it there clamps and a drilled piece of ply would suffice just to start the hole. I just went slow no pressure and had the hose gently spraying it continuously.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I used my makita battery drill on the slow speed setting and bought a suction tile drilling rig if you check my island tank thread there’s photos of it there clamps and a drilled piece of ply would suffice just to start the hole. I just went slow no pressure and had the hose gently spraying it continuously.
I'll check it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store