Best gph wave maker for 150 gallon aquarium

Clintsmith07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2019
Iowa
Hi everyone. Need help. Not sure how how many gph wave maker I need for my tank. Or how many or best placement. Any help on these subjects will be appreciated. Really looking to just keep waste and detritus moving to filter intakes

BAECE8D6-81A9-48D7-9F4F-CB9493DC96FC.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I use the jebao RW range. The best thing about these, for me, is that they're variable speed. You can try a few different places in your tank on different speeds and just see what works for you.

I started off with the RW-20, the biggest in the range, in my 180g. Even on it's lowest setting it was insane. That one is now on half speed in my 360g, which is pretty good movement for keeping the bottom clean. I went with the RW-04 for my 180g but I have to have this one on full speed and to tell you the truth I still don't think it's enough. The RW-08 would have been better in my 180g, maybe on a mid range setting. I'll probably replace my RW-04 soon.

Knowing what I know now, if I got a 150g like you have, I think i'd go with the RW-08 and play with the placement and settings to see what worked best. But there are loads of other cheaper, and more expensive ones out there.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Is 2 better than 1. And what about placement
As a general rule concerning fishkeeping, 2 is always better than 1, except of course in the case of big cichlids in a single tank.

It looks like youre running hob in that tank??? Probably just experiment with some placements until youre satisfied. Your tank looks pretty clean already imo lol.

Reactions: Clintsmith07

Clintsmith07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2019
Iowa
As a general rule concerning fishkeeping, 2 is always better than 1, except of course in the case of big cichlids in a single tank.

It looks like youre running hob in that tank??? Probably just experiment with some placements until youre satisfied. Your tank looks pretty clean already imo lol.
Filters are 2 sunsun 704 b canisters. Will be getting 2 of the hw5000 here soon

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
@ esoxlucius esoxlucius : where should wavemakers be placed if the tank has a lot of bottom level fish( aka bichirs/polypterus). Currently building a tank, but am not sure if I should invest in a wavemaker for same reasons as OP. Dual overflows and wet dry in 180g.

C Clintsmith07 : I like the layout of your tank. Very clean layout and lines of sight. What are you going to be stocking? P.S. I've heard good things about the sunsun filters, though I can see how that would be frustrating if there is not movement on the substrate.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I suggest buying a wave maker with an adjustable remote. I use two and it helps with feeding and adjusting to the fish’s needs

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I would do 2x 1250 gph hydor korilia with the smart controller.

place them dead center on the side panels 4” down pointed slightly up till you got surface agitation.

Clintsmith07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2019
Iowa
@ esoxlucius esoxlucius : where should wavemakers be placed if the tank has a lot of bottom level fish( aka bichirs/polypterus). Currently building a tank, but am not sure if I should invest in a wavemaker for same reasons as OP. Dual overflows and wet dry in 180g.

C Clintsmith07 : I like the layout of your tank. Very clean layout and lines of sight. What are you going to be stocking? P.S. I've heard good things about the sunsun filters, though I can see how that would be frustrating if there is not movement on the substrate.
current stock is ornate Bichir, Senegal Bichir, albino Senegal Bichir, delhezi Bichir, fire eels, black ghost clown knife, electric blue Texas, Cuban, and jaguar cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store