Best guess!

Fatpuffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
Got this at local store id as 'barred midas' and was a surrendered batch of fry. All fry looks like ur typical midevil except this one was smaller than the rest. Fist pix is when I got him.second pic imid peel. Third pic is about a year later.
FB_IMG_1546655982997.jpgIMG_20190104_1435091.jpgScreenshot_20200405-224301.png

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It's a hybrid all right. No way for us to be 100% sure the lineage. These pics are same fish? I see either uropthalmus or festae in the mix in top 2 pics, in the tail spot and color. Also see firemouth from the orange throat/belly. But last pic it looks like faded amphilophus. My best guess is mayan/festae x firemouth x amphilophus

Fatpuffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
It's a hybrid all right. No way for us to be 100% sure the lineage. These pics are same fish? I see either uropthalmus or festae in the mix in top 2 pics, in the tail spot and color. Also see firemouth from the orange throat/belly. But last pic it looks like faded amphilophus. My best guess is mayan/festae x firemouth x amphilophus
All same fish pictured. Just progression.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If all others of the spawn looked normal, it could be just a normal mutation.
In any cichlid spawn a small number of mutations can and will occur, In nature survival of the fittest weeds them out.
In aquariums survival is always a possibility
These days though, a hybrid is very likely, but....
Trying to guess lineage of hybrids is a bit ridiculous, because in any spawn some look a little like the mother, some the father, and others neither. So unless you want to spend the money on a DNA test any guess, is just speculation.

Reactions: maxstillen

Fatpuffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
If all others of the spawn looked normal, it could be just a normal mutation.
In any cichlid spawn a small number of mutations can and will occur, In nature survival of the fittest weeds them out.
In aquariums survival is always a possibility
These days though, a hybrid is very likely, but....
Trying to guess lineage of hybrids is a bit ridiculous, because in any spawn some look a little like the mother, some the father, and others neither. So unless you want to spend the money on a DNA test any guess, is just speculation.
I understand it just a best guess. Just wondering what people see. Something fun...nothing to prove. Too bad I did not get talk to the person the brought it in. As far as I know...it's a midevil spawn...maybe it was w parrot and others just get eaten? Anyways...just something fun to speculate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store