Best media for a moving fliudized bed filter.

Lucas&kim

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Okay. So I'm new to the different media's you can use in a fluidized bed filter.
This will be in a chamber in my sump fluidized by water flow and air.
I know there is k1, k2 and k3 kaldnes. But what are the benefits of each and which would best suite me? Also are there other brands that are just as efficient but cheaper? Also is there a more superior product now? Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’m using marineland bio balls as fluidized media. They float so the water flow through the chamber they are in is enough to fluidize them. Bio balls are very economical compared to k1, but they don’t offer as much surface area as k1. I don also run some submerged media as well.

Lucas&kim

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I’m using marineland bio balls as fluidized media. They float so the water flow through the chamber they are in is enough to fluidize them. Bio balls are very economical compared to k1, but they don’t offer as much surface area as k1. I don also run some submerged media as well.
Thanks for the reply and info. I'll have about 15g of marine pure spheres in the first chamber. I have limited space in the second chamber so I wanted to use k1 kaldnes so I can get the most surface area for bacteria. I'll have about 2000 gph running through the sump which is roughly 2.5 turnover rate for my aquarium size. Not including the rock sand and background water displacement in the display tank. Maybe I wont need much aeration for fluidization in the k1 chamber. Is there a media like k1 that floats?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I don’t have any experience with K1. I have seen other manufacturers that make a k1 style media, not sure of the name though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store