Best Pond

enjoi_madness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fresno, CA
what is the best way to build a pond in a back yard? i've heard to use bricks and line it with pond liner, or use kiddy pools, or use preformed. what would be the best way and most cost effective?

spryandspringy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
The Lone Star State!
Cheapest? (Not necessarily the best, mind you.)

You can dig a hole by hand of any size or shape you like, line it with a lot of damp newspaper, and then lay your pond liner. Your filtration will have to be external or "in pond". Expect to replace the whole damn thing in about five years when you get a tear (or tears) in the liner.

Best? (And certainly not the cheapest, but still relatively "do it yourself".)

Rent professional digging equipment and include a deep path for a bottom drain in your digging. Plumb the drain at the lowest point in the pond, and then line the pond with concrete and seal it with a fish-safe cement sealant. Hook up a pump and filter to the bottom drain. Oh, and then declare bankruptcy. ;)

I've done both (except the bankruptcy ;) ) and they'll both do the job. It really depends on your budget, how much you want to do by hand, how large you want the pond to be, and how long you want it to last.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
^
she knows from experience!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
It all depends on budget and desire. One of the nicest set ups that I ever saw was in Navato, Ca. and was a 5' tall waterfall into a 2000g pool with a stream flowing from there into an 8000g pond. It was stone lined and gravel bottomed, with professional plumbing that ran through a uv sterilzer, 2 1000g filters set into concrete troughs and a 2' deep x 4'wide x 36' long plant trough before being pumped back through the waterfall. It had auto fill, temp. monitors, ammonia and nitrate/nitrite monitors, O2 level alerts, a 1200g premixing vat,,, everthing you can think of. It cost as much as a new pick up truck with all the goodies, maybe as much as a small home.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
i could answer easily if you said how big a pond you want

kiddie pools only last one season so a bad idea except as a quick fix

live stock troughs a re a better choice plastic not metal for small ponds

or see above for the whole shebang

indoor pond i'm doing now is just wood and a liner so i can make it a certain sive or i would have gone with a trough

aquaholic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
brick, nj 08724
i used to run my own installation and maintenance buisness fresh & salt and i always prefered a liner 40-45 mil. its easier to make the pond look more natural

auren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2005
Mexico City
guppy said:
temp. monitors, ammonia and nitrate/nitrite monitors, O2 level alerts, a 1200g premixing vat,,, everthing you can think of. It cost as much as a new pick up truck with all the goodies, maybe as much as a small home.
I am very interested in those monitors, where can I get ammonia and nitrite, monitors with aleters? I am planning on enlarging my small 300gal pong to almost 500gal.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have seen a multisensor alert panel for sale in a saltwater aquariest magazine at the library, I don't know who makes them, wasn't really paying attention.

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
I was thinking of buying a above ground pool and just use that as one. mabe dig a hole for it or just put it on backyard patio. My dads friend has 1 and he said it cost him 1000$ but he uses it as a pool. I have a question tho. Could u use a pool filter on a pond?????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store