Best way for external FX6 prefilter?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Hi,

Ok, honestly I don’t understand why they still have made a 2 stage canister filter that seperates mechanical from
bio. There should be much easier and quicker way to clean mechanical without having to disturb the bio.

Has anyone made a mechancial pre filter for canister?

Thanks to other posters here, I put the FX6 very close to bottom of tank, bare bottom. It’s great at pulling in the poop.
If I make some inline course sponge inline with the intake, would that still suck in the poop or less flow now?

I rather clean this prefilter than having to empty the canister and carry it to my bathroom.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have not had any luck with coarse sponge pre-filters on large GPH filters as they get dirty too fast and collapse on the intake strainer due to the filter suction.

The flow will be reduced somewhat depending on how much 'stuff' gets clogged in the pre-filter. Depending on your stocking and poop size, you may need to do daily pre-filter cleaning.

Reactions: celebrist

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
I agree with you.

Just sharing ideas.
It is possible to have a stronger flow pump
just for sucking out fish waste and lower flow pump for bio?

So like trickle filter for bio then the stronger
GPH pump dedicated for mechanical only.

I’m sure anything I come up with someone has done it already and better. :)

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Use a fine filter pad at the top of the uppermost basket. Fluval makes these, or you can cut circles the size of the basket from filter floss sheets. You want to trap particles before they get to your bio media. It's easy to replace this, as you just have to pop the top off and replace the pad, then put the top back on the filter. No need to move the filter.

Reactions: celebrist
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store