Betta ID

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Can someone ID this betta for me please?
What type of male is it?

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

Also is the black on the tail fin rot?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
With his fins in that condition I doubt anyone could give you a positive ID for him unfortunately. Its a little hard to tell if he's (for example) a Crown Tail if his tail is half missing. :D

As for the black stuff, I've never seen fin rot before but it does look similar to the images on google so it might be. Maybe start a thread in the Diseases and Health Issues section and see what people say about it?

Sorry I can't help more than that..

Reactions: magpie

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
With his fins in that condition I doubt anyone could give you a positive ID for him unfortunately. Its a little hard to tell if he's (for example) a Crown Tail if his tail is half missing. :D

As for the black stuff, I've never seen fin rot before but it does look similar to the images on google so it might be. Maybe start a thread in the Diseases and Health Issues section and see what people say about it?

Well thanks for your help. I got this betta from a friend who told me it wasn't fin rot and the edges of the tail was black but irdk. I also told him about the fins and he said that it was a crowntail crosbred wit a half moon (which I honestly don't believe). He swims to be swimming fine and has already built a bubble nest the next day after he was in the tank. He also flares at me and is eating fine so I hope it's not fin rot!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Well thanks for your help. I got this betta from a friend who told me it wasn't fin rot and the edges of the tail was black but irdk. I also told him about the fins and he said that it was a crowntail crosbred wit a half moon (which I honestly don't believe). He swims to be swimming fine and has already built a bubble nest the next day after he was in the tank. He also flares at me and is eating fine so I hope it's not fin rot!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but if I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If it were my betta I'd give him a decent size tank maybe 50ltrs (approx 10gal) for a few weeks to help with keeping his water extra clean, 20% water changes daily (I get lazy so I'd likely miss a day somewhere) and maybe even add a small amount of salt and see how he does.

Other than that I wish you luck with him and hope it fixes itself. :)

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but if I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If it were my betta I'd give him a decent size tank maybe 50ltrs (approx 10gal) for a few weeks to help with keeping his water extra clean, 20% water changes daily (I get lazy so I'd likely miss a day somewhere) and maybe even add a small amount of salt and see how he does.

Other than that I wish you luck with him and hope it fixes itself. :)
Thanks! I'll start the water changes tomorrow and see how he does from there. Unfortunately he's in a 5 gallon right now but I'll see what I can do to get a larger tank. Again thanks for your help!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Thanks! I'll start the water changes tomorrow and see how he does from there. Unfortunately he's in a 5 gallon right now but I'll see what I can do to get a larger tank. Again thanks for your help!
You're welcome. 5gal is more than enough. The only reason I said 10gal is because larger tank is easier to keep the water clean in. But 5gal is plenty big enough to keep pristine if its only inhabitant is a betta. :)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
If the tail hasn't regrown or grew back in a weird way you can trim it.
many fishkeepers do it to their fish that have injured or tattered fins, it helps the fins grow back correctly.
here:

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan

actually, his fins are supposed to be like that! He's a rose tailed betta. They are VERY rare - here's an old pic of mine: IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1017.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store