Betta tank

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Hey guys

I would like to set up a planted betta nano tank in my bedroom and I want do to it the right way. So I have two main questions:

1. what is the minimum size tank appropriate for a betta. space is an issue and

2. I'm planning on having an internal powerfilter and no air pump because of the noise. Will the betta be ok? I know they can breath from the surface but I don't want to stress the fish

What do you think?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hey guys

I would like to set up a planted betta nano tank in my bedroom and I want do to it the right way. So I have two main questions:

1. what is the minimum size tank appropriate for a betta. space is an issue and

2. I'm planning on having an internal powerfilter and no air pump because of the noise. Will the betta be ok? I know they can breath from the surface but I don't want to stress the fish

What do you think?
Some will say min. 5g, personally I wouldn't go less than 10g for 1 betta. With some plants that would make a nice home. If an internal powerfilter it would need to be really small, otherwise as you say too much flow will likely stress your betta.

Something like this little Sobo, which also has adjustable flow:

Small Sobo pump.jpg

Here's 2 betta in a 20g split into 2 sections if it gives you any inspiration (gave both these fish to one of my staff who breeds betta; he doesn't use any air stones or internal filters at all, just plants and water changes):

Betta 20g tank split into 2.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Oh man I dont remember what I used as an internal filter in my betta tank. I'll check when home. Its adjustable and has a spray bar. My tank is 7.5g I have the filter turned down to aboutb1/4 and the spray bar is pointed out of the water. Betta seems to be fine.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I haven't thought about a split betta tank.

My only limit really is noisewise, otherwise I would have opted for a sponge filter

Haven't thought of getting a filter with a spray bar. that should tone down the flow i think

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I haven't thought about a split betta tank.

My only limit really is noisewise, otherwise I would have opted for a sponge filter

Haven't thought of getting a filter with a spray bar. that should tone down the flow i think
Yeah I was just trying to give you an idea of what a 10g would look like. And sure I guess a spray bar would work, though it's not often you would see as such on a betta tank, kind of overkill imo, esp. in a nano tank, betta originate from pretty stagnant waters.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Honestly I wish I'd have gone with a sponge filter.
20190806_181721.jpg20190712_140548.jpg20190712_195603.jpg
You can see the filter in the back. I think its a tetra brand. I put the clay media in there it came with sponges. I needed cycled media. I have a thread somewhere on it.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Honestly I wish I'd have gone with a sponge filter.

You can see the filter in the back. I think its a tetra brand. I put the clay media in there it came with sponges. I needed cycled media. I have a thread somewhere on it.
Nice crowntail, he looks happy enough in that set up -- if I had continued with betta (I really do like them, kinda like super mini arowana lol) I would have picked up a crowntail next, awesome selection of all kinds of betta locally here.

Reactions: twentyleagues

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Islandguy11 so you were running with no filter? How often did you do waterchanges?

The only thing i don't like about bettas is that i can't really put more than 1 in a tank without separation....

How about a female sorority? Did any of you tried?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Nice crowntail, he looks happy enough in that set up -- if I had continued with betta (I really do like them, kinda like super mini arowana lol) I would have picked up a crowntail next, awesome selection of all kinds of betta locally here.
Thanks! Ive always liked the look of the crown tails. Hes a stunner forsure! Never had a betta before this guy. Really like him. All the fish I've had and no betta seems weird huh? Lol

Reactions: islandguy11

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Islandguy11 so you were running with no filter? How often did you do waterchanges?

The only thing i don't like about bettas is that i can't really put more than 1 in a tank without separation....

How about a female sorority? Did any of you tried?
Sorority requires more spacebthen you have imo. They are still bettas and still quite aggressive. My lfs has a 300dd set up as a sorority....waste of space if you ask me lol. They breed bettas so they saved up all the females and threw them all in there I think he said 150. Some other stuff in too cpds that they breed also.
But anyway fights still break out.

Reactions: flukeone
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store