BGK agression issues

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Hello everyone,
I've had my BGK for about 2 and a half years now and it's grown to around 10inches. It's in a 120 Gallon tank (40x31x22 inches)
I also have a group of 6 adult Abramites in there and lately (for the past 2months or so) the black ghost has been VERY aggressive towards them. Going up to them all the time, opening it's jaw and pushing it's mouth onto them. This has gotten so extreme that this morning I've woken up, went to my tank and noticed my black ghost was missing a piece of skin on it's back (quite a chunk of skin..) My best guess it hit itself somewhere while bullying an abramite. I'll be removing the abramites from the tank today.
Now I've read black ghosts are 'community fish' and usually don't tend to cause too much problems so I'm wondering if I have an odd one out, that is just aggressive in it's personality and if anyone else has experienced such aggression issues with a BGK to the point of having to remove every fish from their tank.
IMG_20200728_110228.jpg

Joseppe.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
As much as they are known to be peaceful. Bgks can be aggressive from time to time. The bgk must be much bigger than the abramites i assume. If you’ve moved the other fish then the problem is solved. As it gets bigger it’ll be bolder and be territorial. Not a unexpected thing.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As much as they are known to be peaceful. Bgks can be aggressive from time to time. The bgk must be much bigger than the abramites i assume. If you’ve moved the other fish then the problem is solved. As it gets bigger it’ll be bolder and be territorial. Not a unexpected thing.
+1

Reactions: kno4te

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
The bgk must be much bigger than the abramites i assume
The BGK is larger than the Abramites indeed, though I have some amazingly large Abramite specimens that are slightly larger than 6 inches.

I am thinking of trying to add my school of 5 silver flying foxes in with my BGK at the time though. I've moved my Abramites in with them for the time being, but that tank is HORRIBLY overstocked right now, with those 6 Abramites ontop of the already existing stock in there ( 5 Flying foxes, 1 clown barb, 1 filament barb and a mystus mysticetus) The tank is roughly 65 gallons, 47x20x15 inches tank.. So I do have to go somewhere with those foxes which I really don't want to get rid of.
Considering the foxes spend a lot of time.. everywhere in the tank, I'm thinking the BGK might be less territorial towards them. The Abramites hang around in the middle / bottom a lot so I think that might be big cause of the issue. What are your thoughts?

I am however rather worried about the wound. It's very unclear on the picture (as I have a horrible camera) but it's bad. Atleast it looks bad to me. It's quite red and a pretty deep cut, with the skin still hanging on one side by a tiny bit..

Joseppe.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The BGK is larger than the Abramites indeed, though I have some amazingly large Abramite specimens that are slightly larger than 6 inches.

I am thinking of trying to add my school of 5 silver flying foxes in with my BGK at the time though. I've moved my Abramites in with them for the time being, but that tank is HORRIBLY overstocked right now, with those 6 Abramites ontop of the already existing stock in there ( 5 Flying foxes, 1 clown barb, 1 filament barb and a mystus mysticetus) The tank is roughly 65 gallons, 47x20x15 inches tank.. So I do have to go somewhere with those foxes which I really don't want to get rid of.
Considering the foxes spend a lot of time.. everywhere in the tank, I'm thinking the BGK might be less territorial towards them. The Abramites hang around in the middle / bottom a lot so I think that might be big cause of the issue. What are your thoughts?

I am however rather worried about the wound. It's very unclear on the picture (as I have a horrible camera) but it's bad. Atleast it looks bad to me. It's quite red and a pretty deep cut, with the skin still hanging on one side by a tiny bit..

Joseppe.
Your assumption is exactly what I was thinking the Abramite were venturing into the BGK territory. The wound should heal if water us kept in pristine condition.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Agree with Tom. Keep the water super clean and watch it.

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Did a 25% waterchange, so far no aggression has been observed towards my flying foxes either. The knife is active and had a good meal last night. Wound is still looking nasty but I believe the BGK will be fine.

Joseppe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store