BGK breathing rapidly...

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
I've had her for years and now she's breathing rapidly, she's also round like she's eaten way too much... Looks like she may have Ick, but only on the white of her tail?? Anyone have ideas on what could be causing this and how to treat? Tank is at 78F. 125g planted, tank mates are all the same for years, nothing new for years as well. The tank is for her. She still eats like the pig she is, very varied diet. 75% wc yesterday, like usual. On well water, so I match temps and refill.

I have Epsom salt, cannot net her to do a bath, so it would have to be a whole tank treatment.

Can just slightly see the specks at one point in the video.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've had her for years and now she's breathing rapidly, she's also round like she's eaten way too much... Looks like she may have Ick, but only on the white of her tail?? Anyone have ideas on what could be causing this and how to treat? Tank is at 78F. 125g planted, tank mates are all the same for years, nothing new for years as well. The tank is for her. She still eats like the pig she is, very varied diet. 75% wc yesterday, like usual. On well water, so I match temps and refill.

I have Epsom salt, cannot net her to do a bath, so it would have to be a whole tank treatment.

Can just slightly see the specks at one point in the video.

Tbh I don't personally see anything that would indicate Ich but other members will chime in.

Glenn238

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
If it was ich it would multiply alot over 24hrs you would see a good deal of white spots don't think that's your issue I would be throwing some air stones in there though to get some surface agitation it may or may not help

Reactions: tlindsey

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
The white bumps are exactly like Ick. I've had fish with it before, when first starting out. But they are only there.
20190106_190744.jpg 20190106_190753.jpg

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Have a FX5 & FX6 canister filters that each nozzel set, one directs to the heater, other along surface. Have 2 heaters.

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Yeah, that's why I'm mentioning it. Its really weird for there to only be specks there. =/

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like bloat. Would add the Epsom salt at 1 tbsp per 5g and add some kanamycin. What have u been feeding? How ur water quality?

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Still round, breathing rapidly, but angled downwards now. On a diagonal and horizontal, switching between the two.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What's your water change schedule like for percentage and frequency?

Can you post your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store