Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
2 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every month
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello everyone,
I'm new here so please correct me if I'm breaking any rules. I've just fed my bichir (polypterus palmas) some frozen bloodworms that I thawed out before i fed them. She was fine right before feeding and even throughout the feeding, but after a few minutes she started to float to the surface tail first. I don't think I've ever seen her do that before, so I'm a little worried. I've read that it could be gasses that would be passed in some time and everything should be fine after, but is it possible that this happened so fast or could it be something else? She's been living in a 4 foot bear bottom tank for a few years now without any tank mates. It should also be noted that it's been a while since I've fed her bloodworms.

If anyone could give some ideas as to what's happening, I would greatly appreciate it!

Reactions: tlindsey

Borito

Feeder Fish
Apr 1, 2018
That's what it sounds like. I suggest not feeding for a couple of days and hopefully the gas will pass.
Thanks, yeah it seems like I may have overreacted a little bit as she's pretty much back to normal already (thankfully!).

I've been feeding pellets for a while, but I thought I'd switch it up a bit and feed some frozen foods again. Then this happened so now I'm a little scared to give frozen again. Am I right to be cautious to feed frozen foods again or is it more likely this was just once upon a time kind of thing? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Thanks, yeah it seems like I may have overreacted a little bit as she's pretty much back to normal already (thankfully!).

I've been feeding pellets for a while, but I thought I'd switch it up a bit and feed some frozen foods again. Then this happened so now I'm a little scared to give frozen again. Am I right to be cautious to feed frozen foods again or is it more likely this was just once upon a time kind of thing? Thanks in advance!
I fed some bloodworms to fancy goldfish and they all turned upside down and died within 2 days of feeding it, glad to see this wasn’t the case

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store