Bichir only using front fins

wibblechu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
Hi

I have searched and can't find an answer anywhere. My endli bichir is about 7 inches long and he was swimming great until last week when he started lazing on the bottom of the tank and skimming the floor. I noticed he's not using his tailfin at all like he used to and is unable to swim up compared to the ornate who is doing great in my tank. My water is perfect in parameters and I have been doing water changes every other day, as well as stress coat, prime and aquarium salt. I'm worried about his tail. It so sad he can't swim up. I"m assuming he's getting air from the bubble walls I have. I hope he'll be ok, I love the little guy

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post a vid. Maybe an spine injury from trauma or something.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Some bichirs do that, they only glide in the water without needing to use the tail. Most endli do that cause when they get bigger they get lazy.

Reactions: clm08k

wibblechu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
I was able to get a vid. He doesn’t move much but if you can picture it. He’s like a fat bird/snake trying to fly with tiny wings when trying to get on top of the driftwood. He doesn’t move that much so this is the best I got so far.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was able to get a vid. He doesn’t move much but if you can picture it. He’s like a fat bird/snake trying to fly with tiny wings when trying to get on top of the driftwood. He doesn’t move that much so this is the best I got so far.
Welcome aboard

Yes that's normal lol they will explore the upper region of the aquarium sometimes. Also make sure there is atleast a 1 inch gap at the surface they have lungs and will go up to retrieve air. Welcome to the Poly world.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Yes that's normal lol they will explore the upper region of the aquarium sometimes. Also make sure there is atleast a 1 inch gap at the surface they have lungs and will go up to retrieve air. Welcome to the Poly world.
Btw they are are considered bottom dwellers.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
On the video looks like he dosent bend the lower part of its body, did he get injured by hitting a decor or something?

I noticed that when it was trying to go under the wood it dont move its tail, most bichirs will move their tail to get under something.

Reactions: BMG94

wibblechu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
Yeah I’m thinking he got injured because he’s not swimming like he was before all snake like. Will he be able to heal hopefully? I don’t have high hopes but he’s eating.

Last edited:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Yeah I’m thinking he got injured. Because he’s not swimming like he was before all snake like. Will he be able to heal hopefully? I don’t have high hopes but he’s eating.
It will be hard to tell if it heals or not, ive seen other fish that healed from back or spinal injury, i had a endli that spinal injury and it healed. Aslong as it eats it should be fine, it will look wierd but it might heal on its own. I would try to remove some decor so it wont cause more injury.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store