Bichir-safe driftwood cleaner

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I decided to get rid of my plecos and my flagtail prochilodus because I kept seeing wounds on my retropinnis bichir. I decided to get rid of all my South American fish in general and decided to stick with Africa/Asia fish.
Now my driftwood is getting dirty… what can I add to the tank to clean it? Will garra be ok? Or Chinese algae eater, SAE? Garra rufa would be ideal since they’re cheap.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
If the driftwood is getting significantly dirty, quickly - sounds more like a water quality issue.. I'd try upping waterchanges and reducing hours of light each day rather than adding additional fish to keep things clean.

I do keep a soft wire brush in my tank equipment and occasionally scrub my driftwood down right before a big water change

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
If the driftwood is getting significantly dirty, quickly - sounds more like a water quality issue.. I'd try upping waterchanges and reducing hours of light each day rather than adding additional fish to keep things clean.

I do keep a soft wire brush in my tank equipment and occasionally scrub my driftwood down right before a big water change
They were in a 220 with a pleco who sucked the driftwood and made it pretty. But I moved to a new house so they’re in a 150 gallon stock tank right now, and at the same time as moving, I got rid of the pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store