Bichir

Srinath

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
I wanted to keep bichir for a long time and finally got my bichir from my LFS. Even though I'm new to polypterus I have done some research myself about bichir and their needs including types, diet, tank mates, and everything. I thought this one belongs to polypterus ornatipinnis but the shopkeeper told its leopard bichir. I have never heard a type called leopard bichir. Is both ornate and leopard are same? If not what type its belong to? Pls help me I'd ing this one.

Currently I'm keeping in my Quarantine system and feeding on hikari massivore delite. Will planned to move to my 210g once he put on some size.
IMG_20220213_015029_Bokeh__01.jpg

Bara fisk

Exodon
MFK Member
May 3, 2022
hi ! what's inside the 210g if i may ask ? ornate indeed , upper jaw species aswell which is usually more active i got a 8.5 inch one recently and its even close to being anoyingly active compared to my other bichirs. personally i really enjoy the lower jaw ones especially now that you have such a good tank for it !

Srinath

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
hi ! what's inside the 210g if i may ask ? ornate indeed , upper jaw species aswell which is usually more active i got a 8.5 inch one recently and its even close to being anoyingly active compared to my other bichirs. personally i really enjoy the lower jaw ones especially now that you have such a good tank for it !
IMG_20220131_151226.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Caveden

Bara fisk

Exodon
MFK Member
May 3, 2022
oh my ... i only been in the hobby for about 1 year and i havnet even dared to aquascape like that yet hold one sec im gonna send you a pic of my 190g!

Srinath

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
I'm currently having 2 Vieja synspilum and 3 Argentina. I took this pic long ago now the Viejas are much larger like around 6+ inches I also added the bichir to 210 mine is not that much active even though the vieja are very very docile so far my ornate always Will be In cover. The only concern is feeding what ever I feed the viejas won't let the food go down to the bottom so I use long pipe ans vieja can't go the place where my bichir live. I barely see him lucky today I saw it and u won't believe it put up very good size it was very thick and also put good size in length too

Bara fisk

Exodon
MFK Member
May 3, 2022
1652125302019.png 1652125325551.png 1652125354981.png sry if the pictures are a bit bad ,these are my 3x tanks atm :p 50g , 100g , 190g

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I'm currently having 2 Vieja synspilum and 3 Argentina. I took this pic long ago now the Viejas are much larger like around 6+ inches I also added the bichir to 210 mine is not that much active even though the vieja are very very docile so far my ornate always Will be In cover. The only concern is feeding what ever I feed the viejas won't let the food go down to the bottom so I use long pipe ans vieja can't go the place where my bichir live. I barely see him lucky today I saw it and u won't believe it put up very good size it was very thick and also put good size in length too
Watch the argenteas, they tend to be solo fish in the wild once they reach over 10"+ and can get highly aggressive with each other in a 6 foot long aquarium.

Bara fisk

Exodon
MFK Member
May 3, 2022

awesome to hear ! , havent seen vieja in that size but oh my are they beutiful once they color up.. i was really close to getting 2x fully grown but changed my mind sinze 5x tiger oscar is a bit overkill already

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store