Bicycle Forum

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am looking for recommendations on a bicycle forum. We must have some dedicated cyclers here…

I’m going to build a bicycle for myself and I’m looking to get recommendations on what gear is available. I used to build bicycles when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago, and things have changed radically in the industry.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
With you being in the states I can't really point you in the direction of a specific forum. But what I can say with a degree of certainty is that if you just type in "Californian bicycle forums", you will probably be spoilt for choice!

I'm a member of a UK forum called "bikeradar" but, unlike our global MFK site, I think it's just a UK thing.

Most of these bike forums have various sub sections, just like our MFK site. And some of these sub sections are dedicated to the building of bikes from scratch.

And yes, if you haven't been in the bike building game for a while, then be prepared to be awestruck with technological advances!

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yeah. Be more specific about what kind of biking you want to do. I used to be active on a site called imtb.com, when I was actually trying get on mountain bike trails. Great group. They're into pedal power. E bikes not so much. I like going to BMX ride outs sometimes, they do a lot of FBing, which I don't.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am planning a custom leisure riding bike. Tooling around the ‘burbs. Minor shopping trips. Daytime exercise machine. No generators or lights. No motors or batteries.

I want quality parts and to avoid any Chinese gear.

I don’t want to build the frame from scratch.

I want a multi-speed hub. To me, derailleurs are for racing. More stuff to collect dirt and rust. 3 speeds is plenty.

It doesn’t need to be suspended. It doesn’t want to be heavy. I only weigh 175.

I don’t know what frame to start with. Maybe I should get a vintage bike just for the frame.

Too many places to start.

Reactions: GolemGolem

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
You might be interested in Klunkers. Klunkers are the predecessor to modern mountain bikes. I have been wanting to build a budget Klunker myself.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Man I need to get over myself and start riding again, had a few years of being actually fairly healthy and happy a few years back. More into long rides in the country myself. . .You know, what you want sounds kinda what continental European city bikers would be into. . .Like Belgum and the Netherlands and such, with the more relaxed geometry and gears in the hub. Maybe google along that front.
Used to have my dad's old 70s Sears 3 speed - was great for tooling around Missoula and pretty tough - I was not easy on it and rarely needed to break out the tool kit, almost never needed an actual mechanic.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You might be interested in Klunkers. Klunkers are the predecessor to modern mountain bikes. I have been wanting to build a budget Klunker myself.
I finally got to watch the clunker bike video and it was pretty interesting. While I’m not going to build a cassette type bike, it would not bother me to build one with disc brakes.

Since I can braze and weld, I was going to maybe take a coaster brake frame & put cantilever brakes on it too.

I was looking at some modern aluminum framed bikes and I noticed they have gone away from cantilever brakes and back to some sort of caliper brakes. I don’t know anything about disc brakes on bicycles but I never did like cantilever brakes very well.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Not a forum but a bike site. Sold my bicycle and bought a motorcycle. Sooo much more fun.

Would you believe I have owned seven motorcycles now but I have only owned two bicycles?

This is not counting clunkers that I scrounged just for parts and never rode. In my whole life I only had two riders.

I’m trying to get my Kawasaki cleaned up and fix the clutch. It’s been sitting for a while and I just put a new battery in it, but there’s still a lot of polishing left to do. She’s been in my shed for two years.

782DD35E-DE0D-46E0-8D23-8075056E3224.jpeg
I changed the clutch two years ago and I set it up too tight, so I need to take the bike back apart and rework it a little.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store