BIG problems

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
“BIG problems” this is the title of an article in the months PFK. It’s a feature on the Big Fish Campaign - a public aquarium initiative aimed at raising awareness of the issues surrounding tank busters.

If you get a chance pic up a copy its quite frightening how many fish are offered to public aquariums in the UK that are then turned down for example they can’t house them or they just don’t want them.

21 pacus offered 0 taken
17 piranha offered 1 taken
12 pangasius offered 1 taken
10 Giant Gourami offered 0 taken
7 Red Tail offered 0 taken (only 7 where are all the others I see in LFS)
4 Arowana offered 1 taken

This is the one
5 Silver dollars offered 5 taken.

I think this was over a year. They are now starting a “Big Fish Campaign in public aquariums across the UK. They are doing a new intense 3 month survey so let’s see what happens.
:nilly:

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
stotty;550187; said:
“BIG problems” this is the title of an article in the months PFK. It’s a feature on the Big Fish Campaign - a public aquarium initiative aimed at raising awareness of the issues surrounding tank busters.

If you get a chance pic up a copy its quite frightening how many fish are offered to public aquariums in the UK that are then turned down for example they can’t house them or they just don’t want them.

21 pacus offered 0 taken
17 piranha offered 1 taken
12 pangasius offered 1 taken
10 Giant Gourami offered 0 taken
7 Red Tail offered 0 taken (only 7 where are all the others I see in LFS)
4 Arowana offered 1 taken

This is the one
5 Silver dollars offered 5 taken.

I think this was over a year. They are now starting a “Big Fish Campaign in public aquariums across the UK. They are doing a new intense 3 month survey so let’s see what happens.
:nilly:

I know, I work at a zoo and it is rediculous. We need more responsible owners. The good thing for aquariums is that people can't just drop a fish off in their tanks (usually) with other animals, people leave them in boxes. It is sad and ends up punishing people like us that are responsible.

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
how about some distributor takes the fish back for money, then ships them back to their origins after a quarantine... wishful thinking but it would seem that everybody would win in the end.... except the fish who might struggle to adjust but at least they wouldnt be dead or put in a strange eco-system illegally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store