Bio Media

Lkeizm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
Quick question about bio media for sump, this is my first time using a sump and obviously the result of this topic is going to be very subjective, What bio media do people use in their sumps and do you use more than just 1 kind?
thinks like biohome ultimate or seachem matrix or are these not worth it over ordinary koi pumice or lava rock?

this is for a freshwater tank

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Quick question about bio media for sump, this is my first time using a sump and obviously the result of this topic is going to be very subjective, What bio media do people use in their sumps and do you use more than just 1 kind?
thinks like biohome ultimate or seachem matrix or are these not worth it over ordinary koi pumice or lava rock?

this is for a freshwater tank
I personally use Bio Balls, Plastic Pot Scrubbers, and Ceramic Rings in my Sump. Also have Sponge filters tossed in the sump for emergency or set-up fry aquariums. Lava Rock works just as well.

Reactions: Lkeizm

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally use Bio Balls, Plastic Pot Scrubbers, and Ceramic Rings in my Sump. Also have Sponge filters tossed in the sump for emergency or set-up fry aquariums. Lava Rock works just as well.
I suggest placing your bio media in aquarium safe mesh bags for easy removal for maintenance.

Reactions: Jexnell

Lkeizm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
I suggest placing your bio media in aquarium safe mesh bags for easy removal for maintenance.
yes that what i will be doing, whilst the new tank and sump is on its way im gonna toss them in my current take for the next month or so, to get the bacteria on them

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
yes that what i will be doing, whilst the new tank and sump is on its way im gonna toss them in my current take for the next month or so, to get the bacteria on them
I personally would just transfer some media from your seeded filter to the sump that will start jump the population of bacteria in the sump. Also if your parameters are good in the established aquarium you could just move that filter to the new aquarium and wouldn't have to worry about Cycling.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would just transfer some media from your seeded filter to the sump that will start jump the population of bacteria in the sump. Also if your parameters are good in the established aquarium you could just move that filter to the new aquarium and wouldn't have to worry about Cycling.
If this is going to be aquarium #2 then just add some bio media from the filter of cycled aquarium.

Lkeizm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
If this is going to be aquarium #2 then just add some bio media from the filter of cycled aquarium.
the first one will be going, just a complete swap over but currently using an FX4 on the current one with some alfagrog in it

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
the first one will be going, just a complete swap over but currently using an FX4 on the current one with some alfagrog in it
Oh great just transfer the F×4 on the new aquarium and remove a little bio and place with bio for sump. Also don't rinse off gravel, ornaments, or driftwood they all have beneficial bacteria on them. Please use a Dechlorinator for the water you fill up the new aquarium If you didn't know that.

Reactions: Lkeizm

Lkeizm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
Oh great just transfer the F×4 on the new aquarium and remove a little bio and place with bio for sump. Also don't rinse off gravel, ornaments, or driftwood they all have beneficial bacteria on them. Please use a Dechlorinator for the water you fill up the new aquarium If you didn't know that.
yeah ive had this aquarium currently for around a year or so, mostly to grow some fish out before i get a bigger tank and add some bigger fish, current one is 75G
New one is 200G with a 70G sump

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
anything porous. ceramic rings, new age porous bio balls (not plastic), lava rock, porous bio bricks (depending on size of sump), the black bio sponge pads, biohome ultimate, or a mix of all/some of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store