BKG with white eye

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sometimes suggsted due to a water quality issue. Check ur water. Keep the water clean for now and should resolve on its own. Would suggest salt but bgks are sensitive to it saw watch and wait.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I would be suprised if it was water quality...nitrates never over 20. I recently used salt in treatment for whitespot, ghostty was fine with the salt. I did notice i few other marks around his head when i noticed his eye...might have had a run in with another fish at feeeding time. any way he seem fine...hopefully it just clears up by itself

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Is it just one eye, or both?

I have kept them for years, and I have noticed this before, but the ones that had white eyes were like that when I got them.

May I ask, how did you treat your White spot?

I just posted a thread asking this exact question. I just realised that all I have in the cupboard for Ick is Malachite Green, and now I can't use it due to copper, and I hate the stuff anyway because it dyes the wood green, and I can't really take it out because my tank would become a war zone.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Is it just one eye, or both?

I have kept them for years, and I have noticed this before, but the ones that had white eyes were like that when I got them.

May I ask, how did you treat your White spot?

I just posted a thread asking this exact question. I just realised that all I have in the cupboard for Ick is Malachite Green, and now I can't use it due to copper, and I hate the stuff anyway because it dyes the wood green, and I can't really take it out because my tank would become a war zone.
first of all i tried heat but coudlnt quite get rid of it, used salt and seemed to work at first but didnt fully get rid of it. in the end i used a med called "Wardleys ickawy" worked great at just over half does. BGK was never effected by ick only my clown loaches...all fish were fine with the meds and salf

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Glad to hear you got it sorted! I hope you can rest easy now his eye looks back to normal!

Some of mine never went away, so I always thought it was just some sort of variant within the BGK's. Interesting to know that it's not! Funny things, scaleless fish!

I'm pretty sure that in the past, Malachite Green was the only thing that I dared use on my BGK's for anything, so +1 for this.

Beautiful but sometimes mysterious fish, the BGK's, they're still rare enough these days that you struggle with info on unusual things like this!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store