Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Black belt ID please

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by Monstercam, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Monstercam

Monstercam Gambusia

Cam
      Sep 25, 2018
      Hi everyone,
      Here is a pic of my 8" black belt. Do you think it is a pure black belt or a hybrid? If so Male or Female do you think?
      Thanks

BLACK BELT.jpg

kewpiefishypewpie and Toiletcar like this.
    2. Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami Bronze Tier VIP

Today at 8:41 PM
      Impossible to say for certain without knowing the lineage, but it looks like a pure maculicauda to me. Looks male as well.

Toiletcar likes this.
    3. mr cichlid

mr cichlid Plecostomus

dawood
      Today at 7:35 AM
      I say amazing female either pure breed, line bred or many generations removed from hybrid. If i didnt have to buy a hundred black belts from different distributors to land true beauty I'd always own them. See video. Seldom seen but my favorite veija when brightly colored.
      Try and spawn?

kewpiefishypewpie likes this.
    4. Monstercam

Monstercam Gambusia

Cam
      Sep 25, 2018
      Thanks
      Do you think that it may be showing so much color as a breeding dress? I do have it in an all male american cichlid tank, possibly her as an exception.
      I was leaning towards female also due to body shape, growth rate and temperament more than anything. I have a Male fenestratus cichlid which is pretty close in age to the black belt and the fen is closer to 9-10" and starting to grow a fairly decent nuchal hump. I do have a 75 gallon free as a possible breeder but finding a male might be the hardest part. I'm guessing I will have to vent before going to the effort of finding a partner.

5. Monstercam

Monstercam Gambusia

Cam
      Sep 25, 2018
      Here is a more side on pic. It just seems to have a more of a synspilum style red face don't you think but obviously has the black belt.

black belt 2.jpg

kewpiefishypewpie likes this.
    6. mr cichlid

mr cichlid Plecostomus

dawood
      Today at 7:35 AM
      I keep the blue fenistratus, argentia and synspilian because vieja are in my top five. I'd trade them all for an amazing black belt pair. I realize the fry are a dime a dozen so it would solely be for my viewing enjoyment. Where am i going with this? Why hybridnize when you stumble a classic beauty. Everywhere around the planet people striving for best flowerhorn. The question is do you like old muscle cars or rice burners. Both fun to drive but only have one garage, right? If you spawn it, I'd like fry and have plenty to trade, mashaAllaah

7. kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie Redtail Catfish

Greg
      Aug 15, 2018
      What a ridiculously good looking black belt, my goodness.

8. duanes

duanes Gold Tier VIP

Duane
      Today at 7:35 PM
      The profile looks female to me too.
      Although there is a chance, because it is housed in an all male tank, that its may be a comparatively subordinate individual compared to others, which could make a male display less than male dominance features.
      If it is a female, I agree with Mr Cichlid, that allowing it to hybridize with another species would be a waste of good genes. Since it is a rather beautiful individual, hybridizing it would produce another group of un-identifyable mutt fry added to an already oversaturated plethora of (IMO) worthless no-name LFS pseudo cichlids.

9. Beardogg85

Beardogg85 Exodon

Yesterday at 9:25 PM
      20180713_074355.jpg a 20180713_074355.jpg lot more red on the head than mine. Very nice fish

10. Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami Bronze Tier VIP

Today at 8:41 PM
      WIth the new side pic, I would agree the profile looks female. It is a very nice one at that