Black Belt (Maculicauda) Agression

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Are black belts more aggressive than their sister species (the whole vieja genus)? I've kept Argenteas and Synspiluses and I haven't seen the level of shear anger the black belts hold. They out grew everything, they have deadlier teeth and more murderous mouths, they never hesitate if they want to kill, and they eat everything before everyone.

Is that in their nature or is it something specific to the individuals I have?
From what I've experienced the rank of aggressiveness (greatest to least) goes like: Maculicauda>Argentea>Synspilus. does that seem right?
I want to hear more from you guys that have kept more from the same genus.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Black belts have a rep for being aggressive. Found vieja melanura (syn) to be pretty peaceful in a 150g. He was a 13” male and very laid back. Tank size matters w/ any cichlid though. Even peaceful ones can turn into killers in a tank that is too small. A lot depends on the individual fish.

Reactions: FESHMAN

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
They remind me of slavinis that way, great looking fish that is almost guaranteed to be aggressive unless you have a big tank or get lucky.
If you really want to keep them then the best option is a species or solo tank I think. Unless you have a massive tank of course but even then you are rolling the dice on how it will go.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In tanks under 300 gallons I've always found them to be extremely aggressive, even as juvies, constantly trying to off one another, or any cichlid they come across.
At least with M argentea, they seem to wait a while, and are mostly copasetic until maturity sets in, then they tear each other apart.
But I suppose one doesn't become the most naturally widespread distributed Vieja in Central America by being timid.
They range from from the Chagres River here in Panama north into Belize, a distant of over 2000 miles as the crow flies.
Being tolerant of brackish and full strength sea water does help, it allows them to the ability to enter rivers that are often barriers to the distribution of less salt tolerant cichlids.

Last edited:

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I am considering bifas because from what some owners have said they aren’t that aggressive. From what I understand, all the others (other than melanura) are fairly aggressive. If you want to lump O. Heterspila into it as closely related, they might be the most peaceful of all.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
But I suppose one doesn't become the most naturally widespread distributed Vieja in Central America by being timid.
They range from from the Chsgres River here in Panama north into Belize, a distant of over 2000 miles as the crow flies.
Being tolerant of brackish and full strength sea water does help, it allows them to the ability to enter rivers that are often barriers to the distribution of less salt tolerant cichlids.
Thanks for the info didn't know that. But that would explain why are they so much cheaper than other viejas.

If you really want to keep them then the best option is a species or solo tank I think.
I think I'll keep the best looking one in a solo tank and trade the others to my store, I've talked to them and they told me to bring them in.

I am considering bifas because from what some owners have said they aren’t that aggressive. From what I understand, all the others (other than melanura) are fairly aggressive. If you want to lump O. Heterspila into it as closely related, they might be the most peaceful of all.
Thanks I'll look into them, but the only problem is that centrals aren't very common where I live. Even the black belts are considered rare and everything else is rarer. Not expensive just rare, especially during these times.

Reactions: Toiletcar

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Got them out!

I was kinda attached to the first one but meh, not worth the hassle. I've measured the second one at about 21cm, the other one is slightly smaller.
Cool fish if kept properly but I don't think most people are ready to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toiletcar

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Got them out!

I was kinda attached to the first one but meh, not worth the hassle. I've measured the second one at about 21cm, the other one is slightly smaller.
Cool fish if kept properly but I don't think most people are ready to do that.
That’s how I felt about the deppi and regani I just sold. Beautiful fish, just didn’t want the aggression. There are other species that will be just as nice and lower aggression

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store