Black Beuty?

TigerAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
California
They have quite a few of the little "angels" at my lfs, does anyone know their minimum tank size/care reqirements/diet. They stole my heart *Gaarg!* the little devils.

inline4

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
they like clean water, soft is better, but they can adapt to almost any ph

they are carnivouous by nature, feed them bloodworms, flakes, brineshrimp, a mixed diet

you can keep juveniles in a 29, maybe about 4 or 5(i've seen more) but as they grow you will need to get a bigger tank, they will get more territorial.

they like taller tanks instead of shorter ones. they like plants and won't eat em they'll just hide in them, and lay eggs on the leaves when they're mature enough.

i've had my angels for a while, i keep them with south american and central american non-aggressive species (severum, earth eaters, 1 female nicuaragua, 1 pike cichlid who doesnt bother anybody) and they seem to do quite well.

TigerAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
California
I belive it is called Paratilapia polleni . I have heard that they are endangered, but my lfs has them in a captive breeding program :D .

And it is a madagascar cichlid. All I've heard other than being endangered, is that they have a similar temperment to that of an oscar.

There is a nice 100g I have been eyeing, will this be alright?

Cryptoheros

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
I have 3 Paratilapia right now...1 big old male that tries to kill me every time I walk past and a pair.The pair are young yet so they are in a 50 breeder,but the male is a good 12" now and has a 110 that he shares recluctantly with 3 silver dollars and a plec.Beautiful fish!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store