black devil catfish

jason34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
uk
i was going to have one of these to put in with my pearl aro.this type of aro can be nasty but i was told the catfish would bash him up.
best kept alone.

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
One of the few catfish that can literally take chunks out of fish too big to swallow. Very hardy at the least. Never seen one house in a community tank. Best left by itself.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
clare said:
If it is wyckii it is one of the more aggresive fish for the aquarium.It should be housed alone as it will kill any other tank occupant.Usually sedentary until night time or food time.
I agree they are aggressive but I found their aggression is reduced the larger tank they are in till they actually become regular community fish.

I have 1 in each of my 15k and 50k+ and no problems really.

I had another one in a 100, 180 and 225 and he killed anything put in with him.

ng80

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
surrey uk
i have kept red tailed catfish and mystus wykii. in separate tanks.

the red tail quite happily lived with other fish such as cichlids, eels etc and his only crime was to try and eat the heaters and a few tank mates got eaten whole, but they were a bit too small.

the wykki on the other hand killed every single tank mate i tried so i gave up and kept him in his own. It just chased and continually bit them until they gave up and died. The wykki had the biggest death count so i would go with the wykki being the most aggressive.
But if youve got one in 50,000 gallons its probably got a teritory of 5,000 gallons so it probably would feel the need to defend its territory so much.

ng80

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
surrey uk
My wykki died aged probably over ten years old as he was over 18" when i got him he lived in my purpose built 8ft x3ft x 3ft. he was 28" when he died which as far as i know is full grown, but there may be bigger examples around.

i had the redtail in a 900 gallon vat that trout farms use to rear fish in which was surprisingly effective as a home for a monster fish.

The 8x3x3 is now kept ticking with my breeding severum and uaru fry until i find another big fish i want to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store