Black Ghost Knife Fish Acrobatics

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I picked up a young black ghost knife fish and am already in love. I'm referring to it as "she" due to the blunt, steeply sloped face though I know the accuracy of the facial profile as an indicator of sex is dubious.

I was going to grow her out and then put her in with my black Arowana but decided not to risk it, so Phantom will live in a different tank.

She is surprisingly outgoing and curious for such a youngster (3 inches). She spends a lot of time out and about exploring and foraging for food. I was also surprised to find that she isn't picky about food at all. She snuffles around collecting whatever goodies the Geophagus abalios leave her. She's fond of shrimp pellets and bloodworms.

But the major fascination is just the way she moves. She can cram herself into any crevice. She doesn't swim so much as ripple and undulate. It's beautiful to watch. Her acrobatic feats are effortlessly impressive. I see her swimming upside down, straight up or down, backwards and in this case backwards in a diagonal position. Just an amazing creature.

Cruddy pic but she was rocketing backwards at a million miles per hour and the pleco hasn't had a chance to hoover up the biofilm on the glass yet. I just moved a bunch of hyper aggressive fish out and the pleco is still scrubbing away. You can see Phantom's teeth... it looks to me like she's smiling.

Anyone else have pictures of their BGKs performing stunts?

20180914_153417.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I picked up a young black ghost knife fish and am already in love. I'm referring to it as "she" due to the blunt, steeply sloped face though I know the accuracy of the facial profile as an indicator of sex is dubious.

I was going to grow her out and then put her in with my black Arowana but decided not to risk it, so Phantom will live in a different tank.

She is surprisingly outgoing and curious for such a youngster (3 inches). She spends a lot of time out and about exploring and foraging for food. I was also surprised to find that she isn't picky about food at all. She snuffles around collecting whatever goodies the Geophagus abalios leave her. She's fond of shrimp pellets and bloodworms.

But the major fascination is just the way she moves. She can cram herself into any crevice. She doesn't swim so much as ripple and undulate. It's beautiful to watch. Her acrobatic feats are effortlessly impressive. I see her swimming upside down, straight up or down, backwards and in this case backwards in a diagonal position. Just an amazing creature.

Cruddy pic but she was rocketing backwards at a million miles per hour and the pleco hasn't had a chance to hoover up the biofilm on the glass yet. I just moved a bunch of hyper aggressive fish out and the pleco is still scrubbing away. You can see Phantom's teeth... it looks to me like she's smiling.

Anyone else have pictures of their BGKs performing stunts?

View attachment 1335257

Don't have any pics but agree they are awesome moving forward or backward.

Reactions: Serpentine

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wow, just reading that put me into a hypnotic trance. You have got to get a video of that one day for us :D.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I believe it was justarn justarn who posted a vid of his Afer knife trying to harass his other fish?

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I believe it was justarn justarn who posted a vid of his Afer knife trying to harass his other fish?
I found that. The Afer knife seems to be playing with fire there but I guess he must be able to back it up or the cichlids in that tank wouldn't tolerate that noise. Phantom is nowhere near that bold. She just does her own thing and the other fish don't really pay her any mind.

Aside from her freestyle gymnastics routines she is quite a talker. I hear her making odd little sounds at night. It's somewhere between a click and a glub... really strange.

She likes just about every meaty food that I drop in but goes cuckoo bananas for bloodworms. She will rocket straight up to the top and then swim upside down skimming them off the surface.

I have a whole lot of tanks and fish but she is easily one of my favorites, along with the goofy weather loaches, way-too-smart Uarus and Brutus the black Arowana.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I found that. The Afer knife seems to be playing with fire there but I guess he must be able to back it up or the cichlids in that tank wouldn't tolerate that noise. Phantom is nowhere near that bold. She just does her own thing and the other fish don't really pay her any mind.

Aside from her freestyle gymnastics routines she is quite a talker. I hear her making odd little sounds at night. It's somewhere between a click and a glub... really strange.

She likes just about every meaty food that I drop in but goes cuckoo bananas for bloodworms. She will rocket straight up to the top and then swim upside down skimming them off the surface.

I have a whole lot of tanks and fish but she is easily one of my favorites, along with the goofy weather loaches, way-too-smart Uarus and Brutus the black Arowana.
Might want to think of raising live bloodworms or scuds for phantom, most fish get a kick out of that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store